Aug 25, 2013, 12:35 PM EST
Bernie Ecclestone has confirmed that there is a possibility that Mexico City could host a grand prix next season, as well as expressing his desire for the race in New Jersey to go ahead.
Speaking to NBC Sports’ Will Buxton on the grid for the Belgian Grand Prix, Ecclestone spoke about the issues surrounding the Grand Prix of America that is planned next season in New Jersey.
“They’ve got a contract which I hope they respect,” Ecclestone said. Reports broke earlier this week suggesting that the race would be cancelled for next season, but the President and CEO of FOM admitted nothing was confirmed.
“We’re waiting to see whether they respect the contract before we put it on or off.”
However, when asked if a race could go ahead in Mexico (Buxton confirmed to MotorSportsTalk in Belgium that they were talking about Mexico City, not New Mexico as stated in the video), Ecclestone acted coy.
“Could be. Everything is possible with me, you know that.”
Mexico last hosted a grand prix in 1992, but with two Mexican drivers now on the grid and Carlos Slim becoming increasingly influential in Formula One, the push to take a grand prix back to Mexico City could be enough to see it join the 2014 calendar.
- Danica Patrick enters final year of contract but wants to stay at Stewart-Haas 5
- Start times for 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races 3
- Bowyer on Gordon: “You’re never good with somebody when it got that ugly” 21
- NASCAR considers unveiling 2016 rules at Sprint All-Star Race in May 2
- Kyle Busch says Toyota teams are “idiots” by not working close together 19
- Brian France: State of NASCAR is in a good place and getting better 5
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Dale Jarrett to join NASCAR coverage on NBC, NBCSN 4