Aug 25, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
Scott Dixon, who starts on the outside front row alongside teammate Dario Franchitti for today’s GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN), was fastest in this morning’s 30-minute warmup with a lap of 1 minute, 18.9674 seconds around the Sonoma Raceway.
Dixon and Franchitti have been the strongest drivers so far this weekend at Sonoma, and would appear to be the ones that the rest of the field will have to go through in order to claim victory today in northern California.
As for the pole sitter Franchitti, who has been surging lately with three podium finishes in his last four races, he was fifth-fastest (1:20.0677) this morning behind Dixon, Ryan Hunter-Reay (1:19.4041), Marco Andretti (1:19.9130) and Tony Kanaan (1:19.9361).
Other notables include Mid-Ohio winner Charlie Kimball in seventh (1:20.0869), 2012 Sonoma winner Ryan Briscoe in 11th (1:20.4385), and current IZOD IndyCar Series championship leader Helio Castroneves in 16th (1:20.4385).
Castroneves leads Dixon by 31 points going into today’s race.
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 0
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1
- Lewis Hamilton explains decision to reject #1 for 2015 1