Aug 25, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
Scott Dixon, who starts on the outside front row alongside teammate Dario Franchitti for today’s GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN), was fastest in this morning’s 30-minute warmup with a lap of 1 minute, 18.9674 seconds around the Sonoma Raceway.
Dixon and Franchitti have been the strongest drivers so far this weekend at Sonoma, and would appear to be the ones that the rest of the field will have to go through in order to claim victory today in northern California.
As for the pole sitter Franchitti, who has been surging lately with three podium finishes in his last four races, he was fifth-fastest (1:20.0677) this morning behind Dixon, Ryan Hunter-Reay (1:19.4041), Marco Andretti (1:19.9130) and Tony Kanaan (1:19.9361).
Other notables include Mid-Ohio winner Charlie Kimball in seventh (1:20.0869), 2012 Sonoma winner Ryan Briscoe in 11th (1:20.4385), and current IZOD IndyCar Series championship leader Helio Castroneves in 16th (1:20.4385).
Castroneves leads Dixon by 31 points going into today’s race.
Video from NASCAR America
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 3
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 8
- The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi 0
- Vettel and Ricciardo to start Abu Dhabi GP from pit lane 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Red Bull drivers excluded from qualifying in Abu Dhabi 2