Aug 25, 2013, 5:55 PM EDT
Multiple incidents have kept IZOD IndyCar Series drivers from getting into a proper rhythm so far at the GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma at Sonoma Raceway.
Five full-course caution periods – a new record for the IndyCars at Sonoma – have already emerged, with many of them stemming from contact within the tight Turn 7 hairpin. In the race’s first 40 laps, E.J. Viso and Tony Kanaan were hit with drive-through penalties for avoidable contact in that particular corner.
Turn 2 has also been a trouble spot. Just after the green flag, Mid-Ohio winner Charlie Kimball locked up his tires going into that right-hander, made contact with the rear wheel guard of Helio Castroneves and then spun out. Kimball fell a lap off the pace after the incident, but has since made it back up and had risen to 15th by the halfway point.
Front-row starter Scott Dixon has stayed ahead of all the pushing and shoving, and on a restart at Lap 35, the New Zealander was able to get past Justin Wilson for the lead in Turn 2.
At halfway (Lap 43 of 85), Dixon led Team Penske rival Will Power by six-tenth of a second, followed by pole sitter Dario Franchitti in third, championship leader Helio Castroneves in fourth, and Marco Andretti in fifth.
- For Dixon, it’s likely Mid-Ohio or bust in terms of 2015 IndyCar title hopes 0
- Race Recap: Vettel draws level with Senna on all-time win list with victory in Hungary 1
- NHRA Mile-High Nationals winners: Torrence, Beckman, Morgan, Krawiec 2
- F1 grid unites to pay tribute to Jules Bianchi (VIDEO) 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Hungarian GP post-race (VIDEO) 1
- Vettel dedicates Hungarian GP win to Jules Bianchi 2
- Vettel storms to victory in Hungary as Hamilton and Rosberg hit trouble 9