Aug 25, 2013, 8:31 PM EDT
The reaction on Twitter has been fast – and mostly negative – toward Scott Dixon’s costly pit road penalty near the end of today’s GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma, which was won by Will Power.
Upon making his final stop of the day, Dixon peeled out of his pit box but hit a tire that was being carried by a crewman from Will Power’s team. The impact sent the crewman into another Power crewman, with both falling to the ground.
Race Control called a drive-through penalty on Dixon for a pit safety violation, knocking him all the way to 21st. He would rally to finish 15th, but still missed out on a potential win and a chance to move closer to championship leader Helio Castroneves, who finished seventh on Sunday.
Following the race, Dixon went on Twitter to call out what he saw as “bad sportsmanship” on the part of the Power crewman that he hit.
Additionally, here’s a smattering of more Tweets regarding Dixon’s penalty from other active professional drivers and race fans alike.
- It’s “never-say-die” for Graham Rahal with three races left 0
- Paralyzed driver Michael Johnson returning to track in Pro Mazda 0
- Simon Pagenaud ‘agonizingly close’ to wins at Mid-Ohio, not to success in 2015 0
- With three races left, who could still win in IndyCar, season 2015? 1
- Marcos Ambrose looks to salvage lost season in V8 Supercars, has had no issues ‘moving on’ from NASCAR 6
- NHRA: Big changes coming to Pro Stock this weekend, next season 20
- Report: Alex Zanardi keen to make Indianapolis 500 debut 7