Aug 25, 2013, 8:31 PM EDT
The reaction on Twitter has been fast – and mostly negative – toward Scott Dixon’s costly pit road penalty near the end of today’s GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma, which was won by Will Power.
Upon making his final stop of the day, Dixon peeled out of his pit box but hit a tire that was being carried by a crewman from Will Power’s team. The impact sent the crewman into another Power crewman, with both falling to the ground.
Race Control called a drive-through penalty on Dixon for a pit safety violation, knocking him all the way to 21st. He would rally to finish 15th, but still missed out on a potential win and a chance to move closer to championship leader Helio Castroneves, who finished seventh on Sunday.
Following the race, Dixon went on Twitter to call out what he saw as “bad sportsmanship” on the part of the Power crewman that he hit.
Additionally, here’s a smattering of more Tweets regarding Dixon’s penalty from other active professional drivers and race fans alike.
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 (VIDEO) 0
- Ryan Hunter-Reay looks to right 2015 season by completing winning trilogy at Barber Motorsports Park 0
- As GP2 turns 10 years old, where is the Class of ’05 now? 0
- Here’s your IndyCar times for this weekend’s Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama 0
- F1: Year-on-year, Ferrari’s gains, Mercedes’ continued edge reins after four races 0
- Racing community reflects on the loss of Fox Sports’ broadcaster Steve Byrnes 8
- Sam Schmidt’s inspirational lap in SAM Project, Arrow Corvette on NBC Nightly News (VIDEO, PHOTOS) 2