Aug 25, 2013, 8:31 PM EDT
The reaction on Twitter has been fast – and mostly negative – toward Scott Dixon’s costly pit road penalty near the end of today’s GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma, which was won by Will Power.
Upon making his final stop of the day, Dixon peeled out of his pit box but hit a tire that was being carried by a crewman from Will Power’s team. The impact sent the crewman into another Power crewman, with both falling to the ground.
Race Control called a drive-through penalty on Dixon for a pit safety violation, knocking him all the way to 21st. He would rally to finish 15th, but still missed out on a potential win and a chance to move closer to championship leader Helio Castroneves, who finished seventh on Sunday.
Following the race, Dixon went on Twitter to call out what he saw as “bad sportsmanship” on the part of the Power crewman that he hit.
Additionally, here’s a smattering of more Tweets regarding Dixon’s penalty from other active professional drivers and race fans alike.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1
- Insight: Planning Andretti’s Sports Marketing promotional efforts at Miami and NOLA 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 2
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 3