Aug 25, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
Sebastian Vettel is pleased that the predicted rain showers did not hit Spa-Francorchamps during the Belgian Grand Prix today, allowing the German driver to dominate the race and win by over twelve seconds.
Rain had marred qualifying yesterday, and the FIA predicted before the race that there was a 60% chance of a shower hitting the circuit. However, it turned out to be a bone dry race that Vettel won with relative ease.
Speaking on the podium after the race, Vettel said: “It was a fantastic race for us. From start to finish, very good tactics and it helped on the first lap to have the tow off Lewis [Hamilton].
“I really enjoyed that a lot, I think the guys on the pit wall did as well. Fortunately there was no rain, so no critical calls to make.”
Vettel had qualified P2 for the race, and despite failing to pass pole-sitter Lewis Hamilton into the tight turn one, the German driver managed to get a tow off the back of the Mercedes heading along the Kemmel Straight, making the pass stick through Les Combes. After that, the defending world champion never looked back. The gap quickly widened and even after losing some time in the pits at his first stop, Vettel was always in control, so much so that he could even set the fastest lap of the race on lap forty.
However, Vettel’s blistering pace gave cause for concern at Red Bull, with engineer Guillaume Rocquelin telling him to ease off during the final stages of the race for fear of throwing away an almost-certain victory.
The win sees Vettel extend his lead in the championship to forty-six points over Fernando Alonso, and the pace of the Red Bull car suggests that it will take a remarkable turnaround to prevent the German driver from winning a fourth consecutive drivers’ championship in 2013.
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 0
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 1
- Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony headlines 6.5 hours of NASCAR on NBCSN 0