Aug 25, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
Getting a grip on the situation will be very tough to do for the IZOD IndyCar Series drivers in today’s GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma. Throughout the weekend, we’ve heard that the tires have a very short window of optimal performance before they fall off. There’s also Mother Nature to think about, as the California winds can toss sand and dirt on the track, making the driving experience even more hairy.
Last year’s modifications to Sonoma’s IndyCar course included tightening up Turn 7, which comes after a short burst down the track’s dragstrip. It’s probably the best of the passing zones that opened up with the modifications, which also affected Turn 9 and Turn 11, the last corner on the course. Having a good run off the Carousel and onto the strip will be critical to making passes in Turn 7 work, but it can be done.
MAKE THE MOST OF IT
Scott Dixon finished one spot behind Helio Castroneves three weeks ago at Mid-Ohio, missing out on an opportunity to cut further into the latter’s championship lead at a place where he’d won four previous times. But with he and Target Chip Ganassi Racing teammate Dario Franchitti running as strong as they have this weekend in Sonoma, Dixon has another chance to narrow his 31-point gap to the Brazilian.
DON’T HOLD BACK
As I mentioned earlier this weekend, Andretti Autosport’s Ryan Hunter-Reay and Marco Andretti may be still in the championship but must make up significant ground on Castroneves and Dixon this afternoon. It’s time for these two to be as aggressive as they can get away with.
IZOD IndyCar Series – GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma
55-Tristan Vautier (rookie)
78-Simona de Silvestro
97-Lucas Luhr (rookie)
*18-James Davison (rookie)
Drivers in italics will start on the alternate Firestone tires
*18-Davison has been penalized for an unapproved engine change; he qualified 21st on Saturday.
- Preview: Detroit’s doubleheader a crucial weekend for IndyCar championship 0
- ARCA: From welder to race car driver, Sarah Cornett-Ching continues her building prowess 0
- Taylor Swift to be featured on Tony Kanaan’s IndyCar in Detroit; will she make it to track? 6
- Surprises, struggles: NHRA at one-third mark of ’15 season 2
- FIA seeking new teams for Formula 1 in 2016 and 2017 6
- Gossage to Walker: “We need a more competitive race this year than last year” 2
- Volkswagen Andretti pair of Foust, Speed seek better fortunes, consistency 0