Aug 25, 2013, 8:15 PM EDT
Behind Will Power, Justin Wilson and Dario Franchitti scored the two remaining podium finishes in the GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma on Sunday.
Wilson had to take a minute to comprehend the strategy set up by his Dale Coyne Racing No. 19 Boy Scouts of America Honda, but it paid dividends for him as he climbed from seventh on the grid to second.
“We’ve had some ups and downs this year, and have run some really good races but end up finishing eighth or tenth,” said Wilson, who scored his third podium of the season (thirds at Long Beach, Detroit Race 1). “I was battling hard at the end and there were some close calls out there. I think everyone seemed to come in here with a little bit of frustration and decided to take it out in this race, so it was busy out there.”
Franchitti, who scored his fourth Verizon P1 Award of the year on Saturday, said tire wear was actually better than expected over the course of the race.
“It was clear the pace was there on blacks,” he said after his fourth podium finish of the season.
- NASCAR AMERICA: Thursday round-up (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar: A crucial weekend to commence at Mid-Ohio 0
- Mark Martin returning to Roush Fenway Racing in unique role 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Wednesday Round-Up Includes Denny Hamlin Interview (VIDEO) 3
- Greg Ives to become crew chief for Dale Earnhardt Jr. next season 12