Aug 25, 2013, 8:15 PM EST
Behind Will Power, Justin Wilson and Dario Franchitti scored the two remaining podium finishes in the GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma on Sunday.
Wilson had to take a minute to comprehend the strategy set up by his Dale Coyne Racing No. 19 Boy Scouts of America Honda, but it paid dividends for him as he climbed from seventh on the grid to second.
“We’ve had some ups and downs this year, and have run some really good races but end up finishing eighth or tenth,” said Wilson, who scored his third podium of the season (thirds at Long Beach, Detroit Race 1). “I was battling hard at the end and there were some close calls out there. I think everyone seemed to come in here with a little bit of frustration and decided to take it out in this race, so it was busy out there.”
Franchitti, who scored his fourth Verizon P1 Award of the year on Saturday, said tire wear was actually better than expected over the course of the race.
“It was clear the pace was there on blacks,” he said after his fourth podium finish of the season.
- Vettel calls double points idea “absurd” 0
- New F1 rules announced Monday create more questions than answers 0
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes 9
- Team co-owned by Leonardo DiCaprio is 10th and last for FE 1
- Franchitti’s ride appears down to Briscoe or Tagliani vs. the field 2
- Eddie Gossage: “Foolish move” by F1 to go head-to-head with NASCAR at Texas (12)
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement (10)
- IndyCar TV sked for 2014 released; 13 races to be shown on NBCSN (9)
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes (9)
- NASCAR Sprint Cup silly season update for 2014 (8)