Aug 25, 2013, 8:15 PM EDT
Behind Will Power, Justin Wilson and Dario Franchitti scored the two remaining podium finishes in the GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma on Sunday.
Wilson had to take a minute to comprehend the strategy set up by his Dale Coyne Racing No. 19 Boy Scouts of America Honda, but it paid dividends for him as he climbed from seventh on the grid to second.
“We’ve had some ups and downs this year, and have run some really good races but end up finishing eighth or tenth,” said Wilson, who scored his third podium of the season (thirds at Long Beach, Detroit Race 1). “I was battling hard at the end and there were some close calls out there. I think everyone seemed to come in here with a little bit of frustration and decided to take it out in this race, so it was busy out there.”
Franchitti, who scored his fourth Verizon P1 Award of the year on Saturday, said tire wear was actually better than expected over the course of the race.
“It was clear the pace was there on blacks,” he said after his fourth podium finish of the season.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar crowns its champion tonight at Fontana 0
- Lessons learned from Dale Earnhardt death readily seen in way NASCAR has dealt with Tony Stewart tragedy 2
- Aleshin conscious following heavy accident in MAVTV 500 final practice (UPDATED, VIDEO) 4
- Kevin Harvick wins Atlanta Sprint Cup pole; Stewart qualifies 12th 1
- Castroneves secures crucial MAVTV 500 pole; Power starts P21 for IndyCar finale (VIDEO) 5
- Jeff Gordon: Last 3 races weren’t the same without Tony Stewart 4
- IndyCar has 500 miles to glory, through speed, dirt, tire fall off and unpredictability 0