Aug 25, 2013, 8:15 PM EST
Behind Will Power, Justin Wilson and Dario Franchitti scored the two remaining podium finishes in the GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma on Sunday.
Wilson had to take a minute to comprehend the strategy set up by his Dale Coyne Racing No. 19 Boy Scouts of America Honda, but it paid dividends for him as he climbed from seventh on the grid to second.
“We’ve had some ups and downs this year, and have run some really good races but end up finishing eighth or tenth,” said Wilson, who scored his third podium of the season (thirds at Long Beach, Detroit Race 1). “I was battling hard at the end and there were some close calls out there. I think everyone seemed to come in here with a little bit of frustration and decided to take it out in this race, so it was busy out there.”
Franchitti, who scored his fourth Verizon P1 Award of the year on Saturday, said tire wear was actually better than expected over the course of the race.
“It was clear the pace was there on blacks,” he said after his fourth podium finish of the season.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR considers unveiling 2016 rules at Sprint All-Star Race in May 1
- Kyle Busch says Toyota teams are “idiots” by not working close together 7
- Brian France: State of NASCAR is in a good place and getting better 2
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Dale Jarrett to join NASCAR coverage on NBC, NBCSN 4
- F1: Lotus releases images of its new Mercedes-powered E23 2
- NASCAR Media Tour begins today, but drivers still in idle 2
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. ponders a 24-hour NASCAR race 8