Aug 26, 2013, 4:30 PM EST
After this coming Sunday’s Grand Prix of Baltimore (2 p.m. ET, NBCSN), the IZOD IndyCar Series will go idle for more than a month. That makes for a lot of free time, and the Target Chip Ganassi Racing duo of Scott Dixon and Dario Franchitti will be spending some of theirs in a GRAND-AM Daytona Prototype.
With help from Ganassi backer Cessna Aircraft Company, Dixon and Franchitti will run a second CGR prototype, the No. 02 Cessna BMW/Riley, alongside full-timers Scott Pruett and Memo Rojas (No. 01 Telcel-TELMEX BMW/Riley) in the Rolex Series’ race at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca on Sept. 8.
The event on California’s Monterey Peninsula will be the penultimate round for the Rolex Series in 2013, and Pruett and Rojas, the defending Rolex DP champions, are sitting just five points out of first place in this year’s title battle.
With Wayne Taylor Racing (No. 10; drivers Jordan Taylor and Max Angelelli), Christian Fittipaldi and Joao Barbosa of Action Express Racing, Starworks Motorsport (No. 2; drivers Alex Popow and Ryan Dalziel), GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing (No. 99; drivers Alex Gurney and Jon Fogarty) and Ganassi’s No. 01 all going at it for the crown, one has to wonder if Dixon and Franchitti’s No. 02 could have a major impact on the proceedings.
“Anytime you can pair two of the best IndyCar drivers out there in the same car makes for an immediate contender,” said Chip Ganassi Racing Teams president Steve Lauletta in a statement.
“We try and assemble an impressive lineup in the No. 02 car for the Rolex 24 At Daytona each season, and this year we’ve been able to provide more opportunities for our sponsors, like with Tony Kanaan and Joey Hand at Indianapolis, and now Scott and Dario for Cessna at Laguna Seca.”
Dixon and Franchitti were part of the No. 02 team for this year’s Rolex 24, in which they finished 11th in DP and 37th overall after a crash and then a subsequent mechanical failure.
Video from NASCAR America
- What we’re thankful for in the motorsports world, 2014 1
- Sam Hornish Jr. has much to be thankful for: new home, renewed Sprint Cup hopes with Richard Petty Motorsports 5
- NBCSN’s F1 coverage delivers best ever single-season numbers for a cable network 6
- Mercedes reserve Wehrlein leads final Abu Dhabi test day to end 2014 0
- Jean-Eric Vergne confirms Toro Rosso exit 3
- Bottas leads as McLaren-Honda delayed on first day of Abu Dhabi test 6
- Steve Letarte reflects on Hendrick Motorsports career in “exit interview” (VIDEO) 3