Aug 26, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
The rest of the top 10, beyond the podium in Sunday’s GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma, was overshadowed in the aftermath of the post-race drama. But here are a few notes on IndyCar finishers P4-10:
- Fourth-placed Marco Andretti picked up his third top-five in the last 10 races and improved from 11th on the grid. There have been days this year where his pace was enough to win but a result went begging; in this case, it was a quiet, methodical march to the front as the top finishing Andretti Autosport entry.
- Simon Pagenaud in fifth told me post-race the tire degradation wasn’t nearly as bad as he or the HP Schmidt Hamilton Motorsports team was expecting. Surprisingly it is only the third top-five finish of the season for him.
- Ryan Hunter-Reay’s race was screwed from the moment he didn’t pit on the third caution of Lap 17. He pitted for the first time on the fourth caution, and that cost him track position that he spent all day recovering from, ultimately ending in sixth.
- Points leader Helio Castroneves started fifth, finished seventh, and still gained 8 points on Scott Dixon when all was said and done. Another maximized points day for the Brazilian in search of his elusive first title.
- James Hinchcliffe made it three Andretti cars in the top 10 in eighth after a good, but not great weekend in the No. 27 GoDaddy Chevrolet.
- Needed top-10s for Simona de Silvestro in ninth and Sebastien Bourdais in 10th. Both have struggled for results of late. This is Simona’s second top-10 in the last 11 races and Bourdais’ third of the season, besides his pair of podiums in Toronto.
- Off The Grid Mexico Kicks Off on NBCSports.com (VIDEO) 0
- Spectator injured but in stable condition after being hit by debris at St. Pete race 1
- Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits 1
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 2
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 2
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 6
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5