Aug 27, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Paul di Resta believes the crash Pastor Maldonado caused in Spa could have taken more cars out.
Maldonado was able to keep going but Di Resta was eliminated on the spot by the collision shortly after half-distance in the Belgian Grand Prix.
“In the process of taking me out, he probably could have taken another two cars out at the same time,” said Di Resta. Maldonado had just been passed by Esteban Gutierrez when he tried to turn into the pits, clipped Adrian Sutil’s car and then made heavier contact with Di Resta’s.
“He wasn’t going to make the pits, so I don’t know what he was planning to do or where he was going,” said Di Resta. “He made quite a mess of my car. He ripped the whole side out, from the radiator back. I’m surprised he carried on.”
Di Resta, who briefly held provisional pole position on Saturday before slipping to fifth place, said he would have scored points had he not been eliminated by Maldonado.
“Points were on the cards. I got off to a bad start, falling to eleventh at the first corner, but got back up to seventh.” It was Di Resta’s first retirement since the Malaysian Grand Prix.
- Power wins Verizon P1 Award in Detroit with new track record 1
- Preview: Detroit’s doubleheader a crucial weekend for IndyCar championship 0
- ARCA: From welder to race car driver, Sarah Cornett-Ching continues her building prowess 2
- Taylor Swift to be featured on Tony Kanaan’s IndyCar in Detroit; will she make it to track? 7
- Surprises, struggles: NHRA at one-third mark of ’15 season 5
- FIA seeking new teams for Formula 1 in 2016 and 2017 8
- Gossage to Walker: “We need a more competitive race this year than last year” 2