Aug 27, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Martin Truex Jr., who currently holds the first Wild Card spot in the Chase for the Sprint Cup with two “regular season” races remaining, will have to try and reach the post-season while dealing with a broken wrist.
Michael Waltrip Racing has confirmed that an MRI on Monday revealed a scaphoid fracture and sprain of Truex’s right wrist – both of which were sustained in last Saturday’s multi-car wreck near the end of the Irwin Tools Night Race at Bristol Motor Speedway (see above).
MWR says Truex has been fitted with a special cast that he’ll wear indefinitely but also allows him to grip the steering wheel better. He has been cleared to race by NASCAR, and the team has yet to determine if a stand-by driver will be necessary for him this weekend at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
The New Jersey native dropped two spots from 12th to 14th in the standings as a result of the Bristol crash. He has one win on the season, which he got at Sonoma Raceway earlier this summer.
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 0
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 1
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 2
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1