Aug 27, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Martin Truex Jr., who currently holds the first Wild Card spot in the Chase for the Sprint Cup with two “regular season” races remaining, will have to try and reach the post-season while dealing with a broken wrist.
Michael Waltrip Racing has confirmed that an MRI on Monday revealed a scaphoid fracture and sprain of Truex’s right wrist – both of which were sustained in last Saturday’s multi-car wreck near the end of the Irwin Tools Night Race at Bristol Motor Speedway (see above).
MWR says Truex has been fitted with a special cast that he’ll wear indefinitely but also allows him to grip the steering wheel better. He has been cleared to race by NASCAR, and the team has yet to determine if a stand-by driver will be necessary for him this weekend at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
The New Jersey native dropped two spots from 12th to 14th in the standings as a result of the Bristol crash. He has one win on the season, which he got at Sonoma Raceway earlier this summer.
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 4
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 0
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 3
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 11
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 4
- Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0