Aug 27, 2013, 5:30 PM EST
Martin Truex Jr., who currently holds the first Wild Card spot in the Chase for the Sprint Cup with two “regular season” races remaining, will have to try and reach the post-season while dealing with a broken wrist.
Michael Waltrip Racing has confirmed that an MRI on Monday revealed a scaphoid fracture and sprain of Truex’s right wrist – both of which were sustained in last Saturday’s multi-car wreck near the end of the Irwin Tools Night Race at Bristol Motor Speedway (see above).
MWR says Truex has been fitted with a special cast that he’ll wear indefinitely but also allows him to grip the steering wheel better. He has been cleared to race by NASCAR, and the team has yet to determine if a stand-by driver will be necessary for him this weekend at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
The New Jersey native dropped two spots from 12th to 14th in the standings as a result of the Bristol crash. He has one win on the season, which he got at Sonoma Raceway earlier this summer.
- Joey Logano wins Vegas pole, Penske claims front row again 0
- 5 storylines that could define the 2014 F1 season 1
- Indianapolis 500 2014 Qualifying Format Revealed 5
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- Disastrous day for Red Bull as Vettel manages just half a lap (5)