Aug 27, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Michelin director Pascal Couasnon says the French tire manufacturer could be open to an F1 return in 2014 – providing the sport changes its wheel rim size.
Strict rules on Formula One wheel sizes force teams to use 13-inch wheels which are considerably smaller than those seen in other racing series. Couasnon told Le Figaro Michelin would prefer to use 18-inch wheel rims if it returned to F1.
This is not the first time Michelin has mooted an F1 comeback but stipulated it must come with a concession on wheel size. It made similar noises in 2010, when Bridgestone was poised to quit the sport, but F1 eventually chose to stick with 13-inch wheels and appoint Pirelli as official tire suppliers.
The obstacles to an increase in wheel rim size are the same now as they were then. The change in size would force a costly re-think of suspension configurations and potentially put gearboxes under greater strain.
Teams are unlikely to swallow such a major shake-up in the technical rules at this late stage in the year. Particularly when they are already grappling with the cost and complexity of the new power trains.
Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone has ruled out Michelin making a return. He is believed to have signed a new advertising deal with Pirelli which extends beyond the end of this season.
It is the FIA’s decision who will be awarded the F1 tire contract. But it is doubtful a rival constructor would want to supply tires to a series which is already contracted to advertise Pirelli’s product in future seasons.
- DiZinno: Mid-Ohio a dream weekend for Rahal, IndyCar, fans 0
- Dates for 2016 IndyCar schedule starting to come together 7
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 5
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 1
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 4
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 13
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 5