Aug 27, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Sebastian Vettel equaled Nigel Mansell’s victories tally in the Belgian Grand Prix. Here’s the top five stats from Sunday’s race.
Vettel matches Mansell…
Sebastian Vettel’s 31st career win means he is now tied in fifth place on the all-time winners list with Nigel Mansell. It took the 1992 world champion 185 starts to reach the tally – Vettel got there in 112.
The next driver ahead of Vettel on the all-time winners list is Fernando Alonso, with 32 wins. Vettel could soon surpass him as the most successful driver current competing in F1 in terms of victories.
The race’s fastest lap also fell to Vettel. This was the 19th time he’s set fastest lap, giving him the same tally as fellow thrice-champion Ayrton Senna, plus Stirling Moss and Damon Hill.
Raikkonen’s run ends
Hamilton on a hot streak
Lewis Hamilton is in the best qualifying form of his career at the moment. Four consecutive pole positions and seven consecutive front row starts are both personal bests.
Penalties pile up
Four drivers collected penalties during the Belgian Grand Prix: Pastor Maldonado, Sergio Perez, Max Chilton and Esteban Gutierrez.
A total of 26 penalties have been handed out in the 11 races so far this year. So far Sebastian Vettel, Fernando Alonso, Jenson Button, Nico Rosberg, Paul di Resta, Valtteri Bottas, Jean-Eric Vergne and Jules Bianchi have stayed out of trouble.
- NHRA drag racing superstar John Force goes on vacation — at a dragstrip, of course 0
- Swan Racing restructures, splits up two-car Sprint Cup operation 0
- It’s official: Redskins QB RG III to drive pace car at Richmond for Saturday’s Sprint Cup race 2
- Raikkonen: Yes, he’s still motivated, otherwise he wouldn’t be here 7
- Red Bull tweaks Mercedes over attempt to increase ‘Fuelgate’ punishment 5
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (12)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)