Aug 28, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Jenson Button dismissed rumors he could leave McLaren at the end of the year and said he had only been “winding up” McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh by pointing out his contract for next year remained unsigned.
“That was very unfair of me, but I was just stating a fact,” Button told the BBC. “I’ll be here for my future in Formula One.”
McLaren have had a poor start to the season and are yet to finish on the podium so far this year. But Button said the setback won’t jeopardize his future with the team.
“It’s obviously not going our way at the moment, but it will and I’m very happy here,” he said. “I still feel we can achieve so much together.”
Martin Whitmarsh raised questions over McLaren’s future driver line-up when he publicly praised Kimi Raikkonen and admitted there were talks last year about Raikkonen returning to his former team.
Button joined McLaren in 2010 after winning the drivers’ championship for Brawn the year before. He finished runner-up to Sebastian Vettel in the 2011 season and has won eight races for McLaren so far.
However he is yet to finish higher than fifth in the problematic MP4-28 so far this year.
Video from NASCAR America
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 1
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 3
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 1
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1
- Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta 2
- Tony Stewart the obvious fan favorite during pre-race introductions at Atlanta 3
- Still searching: Castroneves finishes 14th, falls short of IndyCar title (VIDEO) 1