Aug 28, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
This weekend, Patrick Dempsey will be in Baltimore for the Grand Prix of Baltimore presented by SRT weekend of the American Le Mans Series. He and Andy Lally will co-drive in the No. 27 Dempsey Del Piero Racing Porsche GT3 Cup GTC class entry for the seventh round of the 2013 ALMS season.
But if you’re looking for a Dempsey fix prior to his on-track experience this weekend, feel free to check out the premiere of “Patrick Dempsey: Racing Le Mans.” The four-part documentary chronicling the team’s first, and Dempsey’s second racing appearance at the legendary 24 Hours of Le Mans premieres this Wednesday evening at 10 p.m. ET/PT on the Velocity channel.
Dempsey co-drove with longtime business partner Joe Foster and Porsche’s only American factory driver, Patrick Long, in the No. 77 Dempsey Del Piero Proton Porsche 911 GT3 RSR at Le Mans. The team finished fourth in the GTE AM class after a valiant effort that saw several stints in the lead of the race. At one point, Long had to act as a bouncer in the pit lane to push photographers out of the way as Dempsey was getting ready for a stint of his (see below).
Dempsey’s first race at Le Mans, in 2009, came in a satellite AF Corse entry, a Team Advanced Engineering Ferrari F430 GT in the GT2 class co-driving with Foster and another driver who took ill during the race, which left just Dempsey and Foster able to drive the last half of the race. This DDPR effort in 2013 was a fully fledged effort that was the next step in Dempsey’s evolution as a team owner and driver.
“There was something about that moment and that challenge that we wanted to come back and see if we could go to the next step,” he said in a media teleconference ahead of the Le Mans weekend.
Although he’s better known worldwide for his acting, Dempsey is one of racing – particularly sports car racing’s – biggest ambassadors. He has taken the necessary steps to learn the game, hone his craft, and represent the sport on a worldwide level.
It should be a fascinating watch, beginning this evening.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 52