Aug 29, 2013, 4:00 PM EST
Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali has admitted that his “favorite” for the second seat at Ferrari next season is current driver Felipe Massa despite the Brazilian driver currently going through a rough patch of form.
Massa is the team’s second longest-serving driver, having joined the team in 2006 as a full-time driver and recording a best championship finish of second in 2008, where he lost out to Lewis Hamilton by a single point. An accident at the 2009 Hungarian Grand Prix almost ended Massa’s racing career, but he returned to the sport in 2010. However, having failed to finish on the podium since the Spanish Grand Prix in May, Massa’s seat is under threat in the yearly event of the media lining up his replacements. For Domenicali though, Massa is the best option.
“My favorite choice would be, of course, to keep Felipe because Felipe is a very good guy – very dedicated to the team – and when you look around there are not so many drivers out there that you swap and they immediately deliver,” Domenicali explained to the official Formula One website.
However, he did concede that Massa’s indifferent results have caused Ferrari to take their time over the decision when appointing a teammate for Fernando Alonso in 2014.
“But, of course, we need good results from Felipe, so that’s why we will not rush as we have to make the right decision for the team. As soon as we have made up our minds we will announce it officially to silence the rumours once and for all.”
Domenicali refused to comment on rumors suggesting that Kimi Raikkonen could be in line to return to Maranello next season, but without the right results, Massa’s future will always be thrown into question. Last season, Massa appeared to be on his way out of Ferrari following a poor start to the season, only for the Brazilian driver to go on an incredible run of form and secure an eighth season with the team this year.
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes 7
- Team co-owned by Leonardo DiCaprio is 10th and last for FE 1
- Franchitti’s ride appears down to Briscoe or Tagliani vs. the field 2
- Jay Mohr’s skewering monologue stars at NASCAR banquet (VIDEO) 1
- Todt re-elected as FIA President, plans “ambitious” second term 1
- Eddie Gossage: “Foolish move” by F1 to go head-to-head with NASCAR at Texas (12)
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement (10)
- IndyCar TV sked for 2014 released; 13 races to be shown on NBCSN (9)
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes (9)
- NASCAR Sprint Cup silly season update for 2014 (8)