Aug 29, 2013, 4:00 PM EST
Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali has admitted that his “favorite” for the second seat at Ferrari next season is current driver Felipe Massa despite the Brazilian driver currently going through a rough patch of form.
Massa is the team’s second longest-serving driver, having joined the team in 2006 as a full-time driver and recording a best championship finish of second in 2008, where he lost out to Lewis Hamilton by a single point. An accident at the 2009 Hungarian Grand Prix almost ended Massa’s racing career, but he returned to the sport in 2010. However, having failed to finish on the podium since the Spanish Grand Prix in May, Massa’s seat is under threat in the yearly event of the media lining up his replacements. For Domenicali though, Massa is the best option.
“My favorite choice would be, of course, to keep Felipe because Felipe is a very good guy – very dedicated to the team – and when you look around there are not so many drivers out there that you swap and they immediately deliver,” Domenicali explained to the official Formula One website.
However, he did concede that Massa’s indifferent results have caused Ferrari to take their time over the decision when appointing a teammate for Fernando Alonso in 2014.
“But, of course, we need good results from Felipe, so that’s why we will not rush as we have to make the right decision for the team. As soon as we have made up our minds we will announce it officially to silence the rumours once and for all.”
Domenicali refused to comment on rumors suggesting that Kimi Raikkonen could be in line to return to Maranello next season, but without the right results, Massa’s future will always be thrown into question. Last season, Massa appeared to be on his way out of Ferrari following a poor start to the season, only for the Brazilian driver to go on an incredible run of form and secure an eighth season with the team this year.
- Joey Logano wins Vegas pole, Penske claims front row again 0
- 5 storylines that could define the 2014 F1 season 1
- Indianapolis 500 2014 Qualifying Format Revealed 5
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- Disastrous day for Red Bull as Vettel manages just half a lap (5)