Aug 30, 2013, 3:04 PM EDT
More will follow on this later today, but Kyle Larson has been officially confirmed as Juan Pablo Montoya‘s replacement in the No. 42 Target Chevrolet for Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates. Reports surfaced earlier in the week that Larson would be taking over the ride.
Larson, 21, has been a revelation in NASCAR this season and will make his Sprint Cup Series debut likely before the end of the year, in preparation for a full rookie season in 2014.
Montoya’s status is yet to be determined, whether he will stay in NASCAR or perhaps shift back to IndyCar or sports car racing. Ryan Newman was also a potential candidate for the seat, but so too was Larson, a Ganassi developmental driver who is rated particularly highly across the motorsports landscape.
- Drivers ponder why cars didn’t go airborne during the Indianapolis 500 0
- Bell: “A wild Indy 500 without the finish we desired” 0
- Ryan: Juan Pablo Montoya comes full circle at Indianapolis 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 2
- Montoya rallies for second Indianapolis 500 victory (VIDEO) 10
- Hamilton: Impossible to express how I feel after Monaco defeat 4
- Rosberg lucks in to third straight Monaco GP win after Mercedes’ mistake costs Hamilton victory 53