Aug 30, 2013, 3:04 PM EST
More will follow on this later today, but Kyle Larson has been officially confirmed as Juan Pablo Montoya‘s replacement in the No. 42 Target Chevrolet for Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates. Reports surfaced earlier in the week that Larson would be taking over the ride.
Larson, 21, has been a revelation in NASCAR this season and will make his Sprint Cup Series debut likely before the end of the year, in preparation for a full rookie season in 2014.
Montoya’s status is yet to be determined, whether he will stay in NASCAR or perhaps shift back to IndyCar or sports car racing. Ryan Newman was also a potential candidate for the seat, but so too was Larson, a Ganassi developmental driver who is rated particularly highly across the motorsports landscape.
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Rosberg quickest as Mercedes shows its hand on day two 0
- Alexander Rossi confirms return to GP2 in 2015 with Racing Engineering 2
- FIA issues updated F1 entry list including “Manor Marussia” 0
- Fernando Alonso thanks fans for support following crash 0
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Thursday 0
- Massa fastest for Williams as final F1 pre-season test begins 5