Aug 30, 2013, 3:04 PM EDT
More will follow on this later today, but Kyle Larson has been officially confirmed as Juan Pablo Montoya‘s replacement in the No. 42 Target Chevrolet for Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates. Reports surfaced earlier in the week that Larson would be taking over the ride.
Larson, 21, has been a revelation in NASCAR this season and will make his Sprint Cup Series debut likely before the end of the year, in preparation for a full rookie season in 2014.
Montoya’s status is yet to be determined, whether he will stay in NASCAR or perhaps shift back to IndyCar or sports car racing. Ryan Newman was also a potential candidate for the seat, but so too was Larson, a Ganassi developmental driver who is rated particularly highly across the motorsports landscape.
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick victorious on debut ADAC F4 weekend 1
- IndyCar beats the rain, Castroneves, Penske beats the field in Barber qualifying (VIDEO) 3
- WSR: Rowland wins Formula Renault 3.5 season-opener at Motorland Aragon 0
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 (VIDEO) 0
- Ryan Hunter-Reay looks to right 2015 season by completing winning trilogy at Barber Motorsports Park 0