Aug 30, 2013, 3:04 PM EDT
More will follow on this later today, but Kyle Larson has been officially confirmed as Juan Pablo Montoya‘s replacement in the No. 42 Target Chevrolet for Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates. Reports surfaced earlier in the week that Larson would be taking over the ride.
Larson, 21, has been a revelation in NASCAR this season and will make his Sprint Cup Series debut likely before the end of the year, in preparation for a full rookie season in 2014.
Montoya’s status is yet to be determined, whether he will stay in NASCAR or perhaps shift back to IndyCar or sports car racing. Ryan Newman was also a potential candidate for the seat, but so too was Larson, a Ganassi developmental driver who is rated particularly highly across the motorsports landscape.
- Double points reverse Montoya’s IndyCar championship hopes (VIDEO) 5
- Scott Dixon captures Sonoma race win and 2015 IndyCar championship (VIDEO) 9
- Robin Miller pays tribute to Justin Wilson (VIDEO) 1
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar’s championship decided in Sonoma at 1 p.m. PT, 4 ET on NBCSN 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Sonoma (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Porsche’s no. 17 car surges to maiden WEC victory in 6 Hours of Nürburgring 2
- Audi boss Ullrich laughs off continual F1 rumors 2