Aug 30, 2013, 4:30 PM EST
Next weekend’s Italian Grand Prix will mark a special date in the history of McLaren as the team celebrates its fiftieth birthday at Monza following its incarnation in 1963.
Founded by Bruce McLaren, the team made its debut in 1966 before winning its first title in 1974 with Emerson Fittipaldi. The team has become a mainstay in the sport and is one of the most successful outfits not to be backed by a major customer car manufacturer (such as Ferrari, Renault or Mercedes). Current team principal Martin Whitmarsh has expressed his excitement for the team’s birthday next weekend.
“This year’s Italian Grand Prix will be a very special weekend for the whole Vodafone McLaren Mercedes team, as it’ll be the race where we celebrate our 50th anniversary – a landmark for any sporting organisation, let alone a Grand Prix team,” he explained.
“Since the formation of Bruce McLaren Motor Racing Ltd in September 1963, and our Formula One debut at the 1966 Monaco Grand Prix, no F1 team has won more races than McLaren – an incredible record.”
Despite Monza being home to Ferrari and its loyal fans, the Tifosi, Whitmarsh is pleased to be celebrating the landmark at such a historic circuit.
“It’s appropriate that we’ll be marking the passage of time at a circuit that is both venerable and yet eternally evergreen: in terms of history, nothing really comes close to Monza in terms of capturing the spirits past of motor racing,” the team principal said.
Incidentally, today would have been Bruce McLaren’s 76th birthda. The team founder died at the age of 32 in a Can-Am accident at Goodwood Circuit in England.
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari on day one of Jerez test 3
- Red Bull RB11 launched in camouflage testing livery 4
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 4
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0