Aug 30, 2013, 11:07 AM EDT
Times fell throughout the 45-minute opening practice session for the IZOD IndyCar Series Grand Prix of Baltimore presented by SRT before Will Power laid down the first 1:20 lap of the weekend. The GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma race winner set a fastest lap of 1:20.8632 around the 2.04-mile street circuit.
Next up was E.J. Viso, ahead of Oriol Servia, back for Panther Racing, Graham Rahal in the newly reliveried blu eCigs RLL Honda and Scott Dixon. All were in the 1:21.1-3 range.
Josef Newgarden, Simon Pagenaud, Tristan Vautier, Marco Andretti and Sebastien Bourdais rounded out the top 10.
Three red flags, one apiece for Bourdais and Stefan Wilson stopped on course and third to retrieve a piece of debris, interrupted the session. The younger Wilson completed 19 laps in his first official IndyCar practice session with a best lap of 1:25.2797 as he learns the No. 18 Nirvana Tea Dale Coyne Racing Honda car and the Baltimore track. He also raced at Baltimore in Indy Lights in 2011.
Practice 2 will be held at 2:05 p.m. EST.
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 0
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 0
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 1
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 1
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 2
- Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0