Aug 31, 2013, 8:43 PM EST
Kurt Busch may be heading for Stewart-Haas Racing next season, but there’s still the job of putting Furniture Row Racing into the Chase for the Sprint Cup. Two regular season races remain before the Chase begins, and Busch feels they’re the most important two races in team history.
“We won’t have any type of cushion whatsoever,” he said on Friday at Atlanta Motor Speedway. “We have to race these next two against right now I see the Penske cars [Brad Keselowski and Joey Logano] as the two we are racing heads up.
“After Sunday night, after the Atlanta race, we will see exactly what numbers are going to be in front of us and how that will play out, but we can’t go there to run 10th. We have to go there and run top five in these next two races.”
Busch’s attempt to earn a Chase berth took a hit last weekend at Bristol. A damaged right rear wheel hub relegated him to a 31st-place finish after he had led early in the race.
That’s pretty much brought the margin for error to zero for “The Outlaw,” who is six points out of the Top 10 in 12th position with no wins.
“The Chase for us started a few weeks back,” he said. “We’ve had to be perfect and run sixth and run third and run these top fives up against the stats every week.
“When we had a week like we had last week with the right-rear hub falling off while we are leading the race, those are things that are tough to overcome.”
Busch has been competitive lately at Atlanta, with two victories and four Top-10s in his last six starts on the 1.5-mile oval. He’ll start 32nd for tomorrow night’s Advocare 500.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 0
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 30
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0