Aug 31, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Giedo van der Garde believes that Caterham can put in another strong performance at next weekend’s Italian Grand Prix following a fine performance by the team last time out at Spa-Francorchamps.
van der Garde finished an incredible third in the first qualifying session for the Belgian Grand Prix, eventually dropping out in Q2 placed a respectable fourteenth. Although he could not repeat these heroics in the race on Sunday, he eventually took the checkered flag in sixteenth place.
The Dutchman is confident that the Monza circuit will suit Caterham in Italy next weekend, hopefully allowing the team to extend the gap to closest rivals Marussia.
“It’s a track that could suit us in the fight with our nearest competitors,” he explained. “It’s often hot and it’s the quickest track of the year, one where we run very low-downforce settings and that should suit our car. Last year the team was pretty competitive and we’ll aim to make sure we are again.”
However, if Monza does surprisingly produce a wet race, van der Garde is relishing the opportunity to take a risk and hopefully benefit as he did in Belgium.
“If it’s not hot and we have anything like the conditions we did in Spa then we’ve shown we can take advantage of unpredictable weather, and even though another P3 in Q1 might be unlikely, we still know we can be bold and aggressive when there’s a chance to surprise a few people.
“Maybe our next chance will be Monza – if not I’m sure there will be other races this year when we can show what we can do.”
Caterham currently trail Marussia in the constructors’ championship by virtue of Jules Bianchi’s thirteenth-place finish at the Malaysian Grand Prix.
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 1
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 1
- Complete 2014 F1 on NBC Sports TV Times, Schedule 2
- Keselowski’s crew chief on cooldown issue: “It’s a tough spot” 2
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 2
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)