Webber hoping for final flourish in Italy

Aug 31, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Monaco - Practice Getty Images

Mark Webber is hoping to claim his maiden podium in Italy next weekend as he races a Formula One car at Monza for the final time.

The Australian driver confirmed at the British Grand Prix that he would be walking away from the sport at the end of the season in favor of a move to Porsche’s LMP1 programme that will see him race at the 24 Hours of Le Mans next season. However, he is still focused on finishing his F1 career in the best possible fashion, and a podium at Monza will be another achievement chalked off the list.

“I like Monza a lot because it’s very Formula One in terms of its history and its atmosphere,” Webber said. “All of the greats have raced there and I have an affinity with Italians from my Minardi days. The track is one of a kind, it’s an incredibly fast circuit with high top speeds, so there’s a lot of heavy braking.

“Monza has never been that kind to me; I’ve had a few retirements and have never finished on the podium, so I want to get a good result there this year!”

Webber’s best result at Monza is a lowly sixth place in the 2010 race, with the circuit traditionally being a challenge for Red Bull despite their dominance at other tracks. However, the Aussie will be keen on bettering this result in what will also be his final grand prix in Europe.

1. Stephanie Stevens - Aug 31, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Maybe it is only me, but I’ve noticed what amounts to a serious lack of user bases on both FS1 and NBCSports when it comes to F1 fan user interest but yet some claim that F1 is so popular in the States but it appears nobody is even slightly interested in participating . Maybe there are just too many other sites. At one time Speed had at least 2 dozen active participants that so far have failed to migrate elsewhere on the more mainstream sites like mentioned above . Now our group is a small closed group but muck more interesting and fulfilling to enjoy and we don’t even have articles and yet not one but two major media outlets do . Maybe someone can help put this in perspective for me because obviously I am missing something .

• indycarseries500 - Sep 1, 2013 at 12:46 AM

I’d love to, What would you like to discuss Ms. Stevens?

• Stephanie Stevens - Sep 1, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Lets start with why there is such an obvious lack of interest about F1 articles here .

2. indycarseries500 - Sep 1, 2013 at 4:44 PM

My guess would be we’re already a small group in the States and this site hasn’t quite yet have the popularity SPEED had.

3. lewymp4 - Sep 5, 2013 at 11:04 PM

NBCSports surely still like to continue with that annoying practice of SPEED conducting commercials, during qualifying while cars are on the track.

Video from NASCAR America