Aug 31, 2013, 9:43 PM EDT
As of now, three drivers – Jimmie Johnson, Clint Bowyer and Matt Kenseth – have locked themselves into the Chase for the Sprint Cup. Johnson and Bowyer have clinched a Top-10 automatic berth, while Kenseth has clinched at least a Wild Card spot.
You can probably expect those three to be joined by others following tomorrow night’s Advocare 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway. This week, any driver that’s ahead of the 11th place driver in the standings by at least 49 points will lock down a Top-10 spot in the Chase.
Barring some big problems, Kevin Harvick and Carl Edwards will likely punch their tickets to the postseason down in Georgia. Edwards simply needs to finish 38th or better, while Harvick needs to finish of 31st or better.
Also in contention for Top-10 spots are Kyle Busch, who must finish at least 10th tomorrow, and Kenseth, who needs to come home at least seventh.
That’s the foursome that controls their own destiny. But four others can also clinch an automatic spot, and that’s the seventh-10th place bracket in the standings: Dale Earnhardt Jr. (seventh, +33 points over 11th), Kasey Kahne (eighth, +20 over 11th), Greg Biffle (ninth; +17 over 11th), and Joey Logano (10th; +4 over 11th).
Martin Truex Jr., Logano, and Greg Biffle can all clinch at least a Wild Card Spot with a victory tomorrow and some help. All three of those drivers already have one win each this season.
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)