Aug 31, 2013, 9:43 PM EST
As of now, three drivers – Jimmie Johnson, Clint Bowyer and Matt Kenseth – have locked themselves into the Chase for the Sprint Cup. Johnson and Bowyer have clinched a Top-10 automatic berth, while Kenseth has clinched at least a Wild Card spot.
You can probably expect those three to be joined by others following tomorrow night’s Advocare 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway. This week, any driver that’s ahead of the 11th place driver in the standings by at least 49 points will lock down a Top-10 spot in the Chase.
Barring some big problems, Kevin Harvick and Carl Edwards will likely punch their tickets to the postseason down in Georgia. Edwards simply needs to finish 38th or better, while Harvick needs to finish of 31st or better.
Also in contention for Top-10 spots are Kyle Busch, who must finish at least 10th tomorrow, and Kenseth, who needs to come home at least seventh.
That’s the foursome that controls their own destiny. But four others can also clinch an automatic spot, and that’s the seventh-10th place bracket in the standings: Dale Earnhardt Jr. (seventh, +33 points over 11th), Kasey Kahne (eighth, +20 over 11th), Greg Biffle (ninth; +17 over 11th), and Joey Logano (10th; +4 over 11th).
Martin Truex Jr., Logano, and Greg Biffle can all clinch at least a Wild Card Spot with a victory tomorrow and some help. All three of those drivers already have one win each this season.
- Manor passes final crash tests ahead of Australian GP 1
- WATCH: Mercedes F1: Road to Repeat at 8 p.m. ET highlights F1 block on NBCSN 0
- Manor Marussia F1 confirms trip to Melbourne 3
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 2
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 3
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1