Sep 1, 2013, 9:59 PM EDT
Clint Bowyer has lost the engine on his No. 15 Michael Waltrip Racing Toyota Camry while leading tonight’s Advocare 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Bowyer had warned his team over the radio that the motor on his car was “laying down” before it finally expired in a puff of smoke at Lap 192.
Bowyer’s powerplant is the third from Toyota Racing Development to have suffered issues this weekend at Atlanta. Both Denny Hamlin and Bowyer’s MWR teammate, Brian Vickers, had to change their own TRD engines leading up to tonight’s race.
“Everybody has engine issues, and we’re pushing hard for the Chase to try and win a championship,” Bowyer told ESPN in the Atlanta garages. “We were off a little bit – probably a sixth-to-10th place car – and I told them I wanted to make some adjustments and go for a win.
“As soon as the track went into the night, we really gained some grip and the car took off. It was ours to lose and unfortunately, we found a way to lose. I’m going to have a beer.”
This is the second week in a row that Bowyer has had problems while leading. Last week at Bristol, he was at the point when he spun out on Lap 176 after contact with a lapped car; he would eventually finish 14th.
Video from NASCAR America
- Hamilton quickest in first practice for United States GP 0
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 3
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 6
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0