Sep 1, 2013, 9:59 PM EST
Clint Bowyer has lost the engine on his No. 15 Michael Waltrip Racing Toyota Camry while leading tonight’s Advocare 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Bowyer had warned his team over the radio that the motor on his car was “laying down” before it finally expired in a puff of smoke at Lap 192.
Bowyer’s powerplant is the third from Toyota Racing Development to have suffered issues this weekend at Atlanta. Both Denny Hamlin and Bowyer’s MWR teammate, Brian Vickers, had to change their own TRD engines leading up to tonight’s race.
“Everybody has engine issues, and we’re pushing hard for the Chase to try and win a championship,” Bowyer told ESPN in the Atlanta garages. “We were off a little bit – probably a sixth-to-10th place car - and I told them I wanted to make some adjustments and go for a win.
“As soon as the track went into the night, we really gained some grip and the car took off. It was ours to lose and unfortunately, we found a way to lose. I’m going to have a beer.”
This is the second week in a row that Bowyer has had problems while leading. Last week at Bristol, he was at the point when he spun out on Lap 176 after contact with a lapped car; he would eventually finish 14th.
Video from NASCAR America
- Force India confirms Sergio Perez on multi-year deal 0
- Nico Rosberg rallies to pole position in Abu Dhabi 0
- Rosberg closes out Abu Dhabi practice fastest 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Jimmie Johnson: Kevin Harvick winning Sprint Cup title was “the right thing” 20
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Nico Rosberg 0
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Lewis Hamilton 0