Sep 1, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Jack Hawksworth led a Schmidt Peterson Motorsports with Curb-Agajanian podium sweep in Baltimore for his third win of the Firestone Indy Lights season.
A runner-up finish for Sage Karam moves him to the points lead, with Gabby Chaves third to complete the top three. The trio also went 1-2-3 at Iowa, with Karam leading Chaves and Hawksworth there.
Karam made an excellent move – one he called “the best of his career” on Lap 1 to go three-wide on the inside of Chaves and Carlos Munoz to move into second place at Turn 3.
Hawksworth’s Baltimore drive was peerless from pole, a flag-to-flag triumph in the 35-lap race. He also won on two other street circuits, St. Petersburg and Toronto.
The day was great for SPM but a disaster for Munoz, who crashed on Lap 5 with something that apparently broke on the back of his Andretti Autosport car and pitched him into the wall entering Turn 5. That dropped Munoz to a ninth place finish.
The result moves Karam to the points lead, unofficially, with 373 points. Munoz is second with 371, Chaves 369 and Hawkswoth fourth on 362 with a maximum 53 points earned in Baltimore.
Peter Dempsey, who finished fourth, is still alive as well with 338 points but would need to win at Houston and hope for the four ahead to have issues to gain back the deficit.
Jorge Goncalvez finished fifth at Baltimore ahead of Matthew Di Leo, Giancarlo Serenelli, Zach Veach, Munoz, and series debutante Dalton Kellett. Kellett and Serenelli had unscheduled appointments with the concrete barriers while Veach had mechanical issues.
The second-to-last race for Indy Lights will be at Houston on Oct. 6, the inaugural trip to the street course for the series.
Video from NASCAR America
- Tony Stewart sets fastest qualifying speed ever on 1.5-mile track (200.111 mph), but Matt Kenseth wins pole at Texas 0
- United States GP Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Hamilton inches away from Rosberg to top FP2 at COTA 0
- Sebastian Vettel to start United States GP from pit lane 0
- Hamilton quickest in first practice for United States GP 1
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0