Sep 1, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
With only two regular season races remaining in the 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, the end of the Race to the Chase is in sight. And that means the already high tension among those still battling for a post-season bid will only keep building tonight in the Advocare 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
For some involved in the Chase fight, it’s about maintaining that balance between wanting to go for a win and making sure to come away with the best finish possible. But for others, only a win will do to truly keep their playoff hopes going into the last regular season race next week at Richmond International Raceway.
Here’s how the Chase hopefuls are looking as we prepare for 500 miles in the Peach State:
Dale Earnhardt Jr. (seventh; no wins, +33 points over 11th)
Last five results at Atlanta: 17th, 15th, 22nd, 19th, 7th.
Has completed 99.5 percent of all the laps he’s attempted (8,034 of 8,075) at AMS in his career.
Kasey Kahne (eighth; two wins; +20 points over 11th
Last five results at Atlanta: 1st, 4th, 32nd, 34th, 23rd.
Nine of Kahne’s 16 career Cup wins have come on intermediate tracks (one to two miles).
Greg Biffle (ninth; one win, +17 points over 11th)
Last five results at Atlanta: 10th, 8th, 36, 12th, 15th.
Three Top-5s, nine Top-10s in 18 Cup starts at AMS.
Joey Logano (10th; one win, +4 points over 11th)
Last five results at Atlanta: 22nd, 35th, 27th, 24th, 18th.
Five consecutive Top-10s (plus the win at Michigan) has Logano, No. 22 team surging.
Brad Keselowski (11th, no wins; -4 points out of Top 10)
Career results at Atlanta: 36th, 25th, 6th, 3rd.
Reigning Sprint Cup champion recently tested at AMS. Could that lead to a critical win tonight?
Kurt Busch (12th, no wins; -6 points out of Top 10)
Last five results at Atlanta: 38th, 1st, 6th, 4th, 13th.
“The Outlaw” has had past success at Atlanta (three wins) and has been solid there as of late, too.
Jeff Gordon (13th, no wins; -11 points out of Top 10)
Last five results at Atlanta: 8th, 18th, 13th, 1st, 2nd.
After a win and a runner-up in his last two tries at Atlanta, Gordon needs to come up big again.
Martin Truex, Jr. (14th, one win, Wild Card #1)
Last five results at Atlanta: 26th, 27th, 12th, 14th, 4th.
With his right wrist in a cast, Truex will have to block out the pain with his Chase hopes on the line.
Ryan Newman (15th, one win, Wild Card #2)
Last five results at Atlanta: 9th, 17th, 8th, 20th, 35th.
AMS has been good for him in qualifying (seven poles), but not so much on Race Day (one Top-5 in 20 starts).
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 0
- Complete 2014 F1 on NBC Sports TV Times, Schedule 0
- Keselowski’s crew chief on cooldown issue: “It’s a tough spot” 0
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- The ingredients are set for Graham Rahal’s big, breakout year 0
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)