Sep 1, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Being a rookie in Formula One is no easy job. The cut-throat nature of the sport means that it is important to make an impact during your first season in order to turn heads and establish yourself as a mainstay on the grid. Despite failing to set the sport on fire, Giedo van der Garde is pleased with his performances so far this year after making his debut in Australia back in March.
“Going back to the summer reflections, the other thing I’m happy about is that I’m basically having a really good year both in and out of the car,” he explained in his ‘Rookie Diary’ on the official Formula One website. “Sure there have been some tough times, but I’ve used those to learn and improve. What I’ve never done is let anything get me down – I’m the same positive guy I’ve always been, and I think the team likes that, likes having someone driving who’s enjoying every lap.”
van der Garde’s positive demeanor has made him a popular member of the paddock, and he has every right to be cheerful following impressive performances in Hungary and Belgium that saw him finish fourteenth and sixteenth respectively. He also produced a remarkable result in qualifying at Spa by finishing third in Q1 by taking on slick tires early.
“We keep growing together and it’s great to see what things like getting into Q2 for the second time after Monaco do for the whole team,” the Dutchman said That’s a great feeling and I’m sure there will be more of that this year.”
- For Josef Newgarden, year three is chance to enter IndyCar’s elite 0
- Kanaan set for more than just Indy 500 success with Ganassi switch in 2014 1
- Keselowski wins in Vegas as Dale Jr. runs dry on final lap 2
- NHRA king John Force charging as hard in boardroom for new sponsors as on the dragstrip 0
- Who are the new rookies in F1 this season? 1
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)