Sep 2, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Felipe Massa is unperturbed by fresh rumors over his future, saying it is typical for a Ferrari driver to face such questions.
“I’m used to this situation, as it’s been like this since I started my career,” he said over the weekend.
“The rumors mean nothing, all that matters is the faith the team has in me and I feel that very strongly.”
Massa’s Ferrari contract comes up for renewal at the end of this year but he says “I think I still have a very strong chance of staying with Ferrari.”
“I know I must have a better second half of the season, after a first one where unfortunately, the results were lacking in some races, but the performance has always been up there.”
Massa joined Ferrari from Sauber in 2006 to partner Michael Schumacher. In his third season with the team he finished runner-up in the championship to Lewis Hamilton. But the following year he suffered head injuries in a crash at the Hungaroring. He hasn’t won a race since, though he came close at the Hockenheimring in 2010 before being told to let team mate Fernando Alonso past.
His best result so far this year is third place in the Spanish Grand Prix. It is Ferrari home race this weekend but the team have said it will not make any announcements about its driver line-up.
“The support one gets from the fans is fantastic and we really hope we can give them something to cheer about,” said Massa. “In Belgium, the F138 was better than in previous races and we hope the updates we will have at the track can help us make a further step forward, both in the race and in qualifying, not just in Monza, but for the rest of the season.”
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 1
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 0
- Complete 2014 F1 on NBC Sports TV Times, Schedule 1
- Keselowski’s crew chief on cooldown issue: “It’s a tough spot” 1
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)