Ricciardo officially confirmed as Vettel’s team mate for 2014

Sep 2, 2013, 3:46 PM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-F1-GER Getty Images

Red Bull will exchange one Australian for another as Daniel Ricciardo succeeds Mark Webber as Sebastian Vettel’s team mate. The decision was announced on the Red Bull-owned Servus TV channel earlier today.

“Since joining F1 in 2011, I hoped this would happen and over time the belief in me has grown,” said Ricciardo. “I had some good results and Red Bull has decided that this is it, so it’s a good time.”

“Next year I’ll be with a championship-winning team, arguably the best team, and will be expected to deliver. I’m ready for that. I’m not here to run around in tenth place, I want to get the best results for myself and the team.”

The 24-year-old said it would be a “great challenge” to partner Vettel, who has won the last three drivers’ championships in a row and is leading the points standings at the moment.

Team principal Christian Horner said it was a “very logical choice” to promote Ricciardo from sister team Toro Rosso.

“He’s got all the attributes that are required to drive for our team: he’s got a great natural ability, he’s a good personality and a great guy to work with. Daniel knows what the team expects from him; he’ll learn quickly and it’s very much a medium to long term view that we’re taking in developing him.”

“I think he’s going to be a big star of the future,” Horner added.

1. indycarseries500 - Sep 2, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Congrats! I think in the long run JEV would’ve been the better choice in the long run but RB had to look at the complete package and DR is probably more complete right now

• apexassassin - Sep 3, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Lol, you mean that Australia is their largest market for Red Bull sales, right? That’s the #1 reason why there’s been an Aussie in the second car since they bought Jag and Webber.

JEV is def the better driver, look at the standings and results from incident free races… with an extra year of experience Ricci should be crushing JEV.

• indycarseries500 - Sep 3, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Agree with all that, I had no idea the Aussie’s love their Red Bull. What’s the #1 market? The States?

• apexassassin - Sep 6, 2013 at 12:11 AM

@ 500, I don’t know but I do know vs population size they own the Aussie market… what does one expect though? Ever see their beer tax? :o

2. cuencanolenny - Sep 2, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I think it is a sound choice. There aren’t that many drivers in the world that can drive an F1 car competitively and Ricciardo has shown that he can do it. Wish him the best in finishing second and third behind the Ferrari’s:)

• apexassassin - Sep 3, 2013 at 5:50 PM

AHAHAHAHAHA! Keep watching. Eventually you’ll learn the sport.

Video from NASCAR America