Sep 3, 2013, 2:03 PM EDT
Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing will test Jack Hawksworth, the reigning Pro Mazda champion and three-time Indy Lights race winner, in its IndyCar on Sept. 17 at Sebring International Raceway. He’s having a seat fitting at the team’s shop today.
The test is merely an exploratory one for now as Hawksworth looks toward 2014. He has two races remaining in the Indy Lights season and sits only 11 points back of series leader and Schmidt Peterson Motorsports teammate Sage Karam after a dominant weekend in Baltimore.
“Looking further ahead to 2014, I would obviously love to be in an IndyCar seat, and if that happens, my aim will be the same as it has always been – to maximize my potential and that of the team and score as many points as possible,” Hawksworth said. “My goal isn’t simply to compete in IndyCar, it is to ultimately win IndyCar races and championships – and I know without any doubt that I can.”
“We have watched Jack from afar in Indy Lights; he is obviously a proven winner there and there is no reason to think that he couldn’t be competitive in Indy cars and be a future winner there as well. We are anxious to put Jack in the car at Sebring and see how he does,” said team co-owner Bobby Rahal.
RLL currently fields two Hondas for Graham Rahal and James Jakes, and ran a third car for Mike Conway at Long Beach. A third car entered at Indianapolis for Michel Jourdain Jr. failed to qualify.
Graham will test on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course on Wednesday.
- DiZinno: St. Pete provides solid 2015 season kickoff, but issues some warning signs 1
- Off The Grid Mexico Kicks Off on NBCSports.com (VIDEO) 0
- Spectator injured but in stable condition after being hit by debris at St. Pete race 4
- Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits 3
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 2
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 2
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 6