Sep 3, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Mercedes executive director Toto Wolff says the team’s result in the Belgian Grand Prix shows they have one of the strongest driver pairings in F1.
“We scored a good team result at the last race in Belgium, with third and fourth places, and that underlined one of the team’s strengths this year: our drivers,” said Wolff.
“As their performances this season have shown, Lewis and Nico are probably the most closely matched and balanced driver pairing in Formula One. Their combination of speed and consistency has taken Mercedes to second place in the constructors’ championship and our clear target is to consolidate this position over the coming races.”
Team principal Ross Brawn echoed Wolff’s view, saying he was pleased the team strengthened its hold on second place in the constructors’ championship at the Belgian Grand Prix even if it wasn’t able to challenge Red Bull for victory.
“I was very pleased with the team’s performance in Belgium and the consolidation of our current position of second place in the constructors’ championship,” said Brawn. “We weren’t quite in the position to fight for the win but we will keep pushing hard to close that gap and keep fighting.”
Mercedes gave away eight points to Red Bull in the championship at Spa and now trail them by 77. They are 17 clear of Ferrari.
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 0
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 1
- VIDEO: Chinese GP Paddock Pass 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Swan Racing’s future in NASCAR in question 2
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)