Sep 3, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
IndyCar’s Grand Prix of Baltimore presented by SRT had an odd top five, with winner Simon Pagenaud, second-placed Josef Newgarden, third-placed Sebastien Bourdais, fourth-placed Justin Wilson and fifth-placed Simona de Silvestro.
Behind them, the rest of the top 10 had eventful days as well and ended in better positions than they probably anticipated.
Chief among them were Sebastian Saavedra in eighth place, and Charlie Kimball in sixth.
Saavedra needed to unlap himself on track – and was able to do so on then-leader Marco Andretti – to secure a result in the No. 6 TRUECar Dragon Racing Chevrolet. His eighth-place result was his best of his IZOD IndyCar Series career, bettering the 10th at Detroit race 2 earlier this year.
The result marks the first time two Dragon Racing entries have both finished in the top 10 in the same race.
Kimball, meanwhile, earned his eighth top-10 result of the season in the No. 83 Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi Racing Honda after performing some excellent maneuvers to avoid three different instances of contact ahead of him.
Kimball took to the escape road at Turn 1 when the corner was blocked on Lap 48, did so again after reversing out of the blockage at Turn 1 on another restart on Lap 57, and finally needed to reverse and go out of Turn 3 on the final full course caution on Lap 63. He stays 10th in points with the result.
The others in the rest of the top 10: James Hinchcliffe somehow ended seventh, with points leaders Helio Castroneves ninth and Marco Andretti 10th despite a broken front wing.
- Alex Tagliani to drive 3rd AJ Foyt car in Indy 500, will pay tribute to Dan Gurney 1
- NHRA legend John Force turns 66, not slowing down any time soon 1
- Montoya fastest on opening day of Indianapolis 500 practice 2
- Indy 500 refresher running, RoP gets underway today at IMS 0
- Chevrolet reveals its super speedway aero kit 2
- ARCA driver Brad Smith recovering from ankle surgery after Talladega wreck 0
- 21 years after his death, the legacy of Ayrton Senna burns as brightly as ever 2