Sep 3, 2013, 5:30 PM EST
“This year was the most aggressive schedule we planned. I wouldn’t plan on 70 races again next year. I was too aggressive on number of dates,” he said. “I’ll get back in one eventually, no time frame, but I will cut back the amount of races out of scheduling purposes more than anything. I was starting to feel tired. The Truck race (at Eldora) was a lot of stress. I’m definitely going to cut back quite a bit.”
Stewart said several safety measures are in the process of being developed around the country to enhance sprint car safety.
“Safety fixes started before my accident,” he said. “Jerry Russell of Eagle chassis has a torque tube tunnel being developed. Butler Built here in Charlotte is working on a tether system. Jimmy Carr, my crew chief, has been working on a torque tube plus tethers. It’s a movement similar to when Dale Sr. crashed and it sparked safety improvements. How can we make things better?
“There’s gonna be something,” he added, then admonishing some reporters. “Sprint car racing has had a dark cloud over it. Reading some of the articles from writers who don’t know anything about it has devastated the sprint car community. Manufacturers have got involved here. It’s not nearly as dangerous as everything thinks it is. There’s no formal group like NASCAR, but it’s independents coming together.”
Despite rumors or stories to the contrary, Stewart’s sponsors have supported him throughout the process since his accident.
“My sponsors have been amazing through this,” he said. “They want to me to be healthy. The sprint car topic has been sensitive, but they have all been supportive of me living my life.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 0
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 4
- The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi 0
- Vettel and Ricciardo to start Abu Dhabi GP from pit lane 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Red Bull drivers excluded from qualifying in Abu Dhabi 2