Sep 5, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Fernando Alonso has dismissed any rumors suggesting that he may be unhappy at Ferrari by reinforcing his desire to finish his career with the Italian team.
Alonso had criticized the team for not supplying him with a competitive car in Hungary back in July, and although the Spaniard insisted that he had been misunderstood, he received a slap on the wrist from team president Luca di Montezemolo. However, ahead of Ferrari’s home race in Italy this weekend, Alonso has made his happiness with the team clear.
“I still have three and a half more years with Ferrari which I intend to respect and hopefully to increase a little bit, and as I said, finish my career in the best team in the world which is Ferrari,” he explained in today’s drivers’ press conference.
Although Alonso conceded that the results of late were below par, he identified the change in regulations for 2014 as being Ferrari’s chance to get back ahead of Red Bull.
“We are not at the moment achieving the results that we want but we are working very hard and next year will be completely new rules which obviously open the door for many teams to stop the domination that Red Bull seems to have had in the last couple of years so we have high hopes also for next year’s challenge.”
Alonso’s current contract runs out at the end of the 2017 season, when the Spaniard will be 36. However, he also stated in the press conference that he wants to continue for another “four or five years”, taking him to the end of the 2018 season.
- From welder to race car driver, Sarah Cornett-Ching continues her building prowess 0
- Taylor Swift to be featured on Tony Kanaan’s IndyCar in Detroit; will she make it to track? 6
- Surprises, struggles: NHRA at one-third mark of ’15 season 2
- FIA seeking new teams for Formula 1 in 2016 and 2017 6
- Gossage to Walker: “We need a more competitive race this year than last year” 2
- Volkswagen Andretti pair of Foust, Speed seek better fortunes, consistency 0
- Hinchcliffe released from hospital, expected to make full recovery (VIDEO) 5