Sep 5, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
Fernando Alonso has dismissed any rumors suggesting that he may be unhappy at Ferrari by reinforcing his desire to finish his career with the Italian team.
Alonso had criticized the team for not supplying him with a competitive car in Hungary back in July, and although the Spaniard insisted that he had been misunderstood, he received a slap on the wrist from team president Luca di Montezemolo. However, ahead of Ferrari’s home race in Italy this weekend, Alonso has made his happiness with the team clear.
“I still have three and a half more years with Ferrari which I intend to respect and hopefully to increase a little bit, and as I said, finish my career in the best team in the world which is Ferrari,” he explained in today’s drivers’ press conference.
Although Alonso conceded that the results of late were below par, he identified the change in regulations for 2014 as being Ferrari’s chance to get back ahead of Red Bull.
“We are not at the moment achieving the results that we want but we are working very hard and next year will be completely new rules which obviously open the door for many teams to stop the domination that Red Bull seems to have had in the last couple of years so we have high hopes also for next year’s challenge.”
Alonso’s current contract runs out at the end of the 2017 season, when the Spaniard will be 36. However, he also stated in the press conference that he wants to continue for another “four or five years”, taking him to the end of the 2018 season.
- Sprint Cup champ Kevin Harvick: “I’m as comfortable as I’ve ever been” 0
- Danica Patrick enters final year of contract but wants to stay at Stewart-Haas 7
- Start times for 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races 8
- Bowyer on Gordon: “You’re never good with somebody when it got that ugly” 21
- NASCAR considers unveiling 2016 rules at Sprint All-Star Race in May 2
- Kyle Busch says Toyota teams are “idiots” by not working close together 20
- Brian France: State of NASCAR is in a good place and getting better 6