Sep 5, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
The DeltaWing coupe turned its first laps Tuesday and Wednesday in a two-day shakedown at Roebling Road Raceway in Savannah, Ga. The team is planning a debut of the coupe version of the radical prototype after it got the open-top car working and running well at its most recent American Le Mans Series race at Elkhart Lake, Wis.
The coupe is aimed at improving cooling, since overheating problems had been a rather persistent issue with the open-top spyder. The coupe had its public unveil at the season opener in Sebring, but the actual race chassis is a sleeker design compared to the show car that was on display there.
“The new engine installation is all about better cooling, while giving us easier access to the exhaust and turbo systems,” car designer Simon Marshall said in a release. “We added an air intake on the roof which increased the cooling air by 50 percent, repackaged where the turbo and intercooler sit and installed a bigger oil cooler, which is all definitely working. The windscreen, the doors, all the new parts all did what they are supposed to do. It was a successful day.”
Katherine Legge tested the Élan-powered car in its initial shakedown and will drive it with Andy Meyrick at the next round of the ALMS season, at Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas on Sept. 21. The team sat out the last ALMS race in Baltimore, which was probably a smart move given this brutal accident at the start of the race.
UPDATE, 12:00 A.M. ET: The team produced a brief video of how the car looks and drives from the shakedown. It was released earlier Thursday, but we’re just getting around to adding it in now. So, anyway, have a look below.
- Vettel calls double points idea “absurd” 1
- New F1 rules announced Monday create more questions than answers 2
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes 9
- Team co-owned by Leonardo DiCaprio is 10th and last for FE 1
- Franchitti’s ride appears down to Briscoe or Tagliani vs. the field 2
- Eddie Gossage: “Foolish move” by F1 to go head-to-head with NASCAR at Texas (12)
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement (10)
- IndyCar TV sked for 2014 released; 13 races to be shown on NBCSN (9)
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes (9)
- NASCAR Sprint Cup silly season update for 2014 (8)