Sep 5, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
The DeltaWing coupe turned its first laps Tuesday and Wednesday in a two-day shakedown at Roebling Road Raceway in Savannah, Ga. The team is planning a debut of the coupe version of the radical prototype after it got the open-top car working and running well at its most recent American Le Mans Series race at Elkhart Lake, Wis.
The coupe is aimed at improving cooling, since overheating problems had been a rather persistent issue with the open-top spyder. The coupe had its public unveil at the season opener in Sebring, but the actual race chassis is a sleeker design compared to the show car that was on display there.
“The new engine installation is all about better cooling, while giving us easier access to the exhaust and turbo systems,” car designer Simon Marshall said in a release. “We added an air intake on the roof which increased the cooling air by 50 percent, repackaged where the turbo and intercooler sit and installed a bigger oil cooler, which is all definitely working. The windscreen, the doors, all the new parts all did what they are supposed to do. It was a successful day.”
Katherine Legge tested the Élan-powered car in its initial shakedown and will drive it with Andy Meyrick at the next round of the ALMS season, at Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas on Sept. 21. The team sat out the last ALMS race in Baltimore, which was probably a smart move given this brutal accident at the start of the race.
UPDATE, 12:00 A.M. ET: The team produced a brief video of how the car looks and drives from the shakedown. It was released earlier Thursday, but we’re just getting around to adding it in now. So, anyway, have a look below.
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 1
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 0
- Complete 2014 F1 on NBC Sports TV Times, Schedule 1
- Keselowski’s crew chief on cooldown issue: “It’s a tough spot” 1
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)