Sep 5, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
The DeltaWing coupe turned its first laps Tuesday and Wednesday in a two-day shakedown at Roebling Road Raceway in Savannah, Ga. The team is planning a debut of the coupe version of the radical prototype after it got the open-top car working and running well at its most recent American Le Mans Series race at Elkhart Lake, Wis.
The coupe is aimed at improving cooling, since overheating problems had been a rather persistent issue with the open-top spyder. The coupe had its public unveil at the season opener in Sebring, but the actual race chassis is a sleeker design compared to the show car that was on display there.
“The new engine installation is all about better cooling, while giving us easier access to the exhaust and turbo systems,” car designer Simon Marshall said in a release. “We added an air intake on the roof which increased the cooling air by 50 percent, repackaged where the turbo and intercooler sit and installed a bigger oil cooler, which is all definitely working. The windscreen, the doors, all the new parts all did what they are supposed to do. It was a successful day.”
Katherine Legge tested the Élan-powered car in its initial shakedown and will drive it with Andy Meyrick at the next round of the ALMS season, at Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas on Sept. 21. The team sat out the last ALMS race in Baltimore, which was probably a smart move given this brutal accident at the start of the race.
UPDATE, 12:00 A.M. ET: The team produced a brief video of how the car looks and drives from the shakedown. It was released earlier Thursday, but we’re just getting around to adding it in now. So, anyway, have a look below.
- DiZinno: St. Pete provides solid 2015 season kickoff, but issues some warning signs 1
- Off The Grid Mexico Kicks Off on NBCSports.com (VIDEO) 0
- Spectator injured but in stable condition after being hit by debris at St. Pete race 4
- Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits 3
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 2
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 2
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 6