Sep 5, 2013, 6:00 PM EST
Christian Horner is confident that Daniel Ricciardo will slot into the Red Bull setup with great ease when he eventually joins the team at the end of this season.
Following Mark Webber’s decision to retire, the team has opted to hire his compatriot – Ricciardo – to partner three-time world champion Sebastian Vettel. Although most drivers do take a few races to settle in with a new team, Horner is confident that Ricciardo will not need this ‘honeymoon period’ thanks to his work at Toro Rosso (Red Bull’s sister team).
“He knows how we operate and what is expected from a grand prix driver at Red Bull Racing,” Horner explained to the official Formula One website. “He will not need a ‘honeymoon period’ to get to know each other. He knows us intimately – and that will make a huge difference. At least that is what we – and he – expect.”
Horner also insisted that Ricciardo would be treated equally alongside Vettel, despite the dispute over team orders breaking out at the Malaysian Grand Prix this year where the team appeared to favor the German driver over Mark Webber.
“Our job is to give him the opportunity and platform to demonstrate that,” Horner said. “He will have the same opportunity as Sebastian. We are delighted over our 2014 driver line-up, as we think it is the best that we could think of.”
Ricciardo will be keen on impressing during his final few races for Toro Rosso before leaving the Italian team at the end of the season.
- Hamilton fastest as Mercedes impresses again on day three 0
- Happy 75th birthday to one of the best ever, Mario Andretti 1
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Rosberg quickest as Mercedes shows its hand on day two 0
- Alexander Rossi confirms return to GP2 in 2015 with Racing Engineering 3
- FIA issues updated F1 entry list including “Manor Marussia” 3
- Fernando Alonso thanks fans for support following crash 1