Sep 5, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
Christian Horner is confident that Daniel Ricciardo will slot into the Red Bull setup with great ease when he eventually joins the team at the end of this season.
Following Mark Webber’s decision to retire, the team has opted to hire his compatriot – Ricciardo – to partner three-time world champion Sebastian Vettel. Although most drivers do take a few races to settle in with a new team, Horner is confident that Ricciardo will not need this ‘honeymoon period’ thanks to his work at Toro Rosso (Red Bull’s sister team).
“He knows how we operate and what is expected from a grand prix driver at Red Bull Racing,” Horner explained to the official Formula One website. “He will not need a ‘honeymoon period’ to get to know each other. He knows us intimately – and that will make a huge difference. At least that is what we – and he – expect.”
Horner also insisted that Ricciardo would be treated equally alongside Vettel, despite the dispute over team orders breaking out at the Malaysian Grand Prix this year where the team appeared to favor the German driver over Mark Webber.
“Our job is to give him the opportunity and platform to demonstrate that,” Horner said. “He will have the same opportunity as Sebastian. We are delighted over our 2014 driver line-up, as we think it is the best that we could think of.”
Ricciardo will be keen on impressing during his final few races for Toro Rosso before leaving the Italian team at the end of the season.
- Scott Dixon captures Sonoma race win and 2015 IndyCar championship (VIDEO) 2
- Sebastian Saavedra leads at halfway in IndyCar season finale (VIDEO) 0
- Robin Miller pays tribute to Justin Wilson (VIDEO) 0
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar’s championship decided in Sonoma at 1 p.m. PT, 4 ET on NBCSN 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Sonoma (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Porsche’s no. 17 car surges to maiden WEC victory in 6 Hours of Nürburgring 2
- Audi boss Ullrich laughs off continual F1 rumors 2