Sep 5, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Felipe Massa, Jenson Button and Max Chilton have all expressed a desire to remain with their respective teams for 2014 despite none of the trio having a secure contract for next season.
Following Red Bull’s confirmation that Daniel Ricciardo will be driving for the team next season, the 2014 driver market is beginning to fall into place. For Massa, speculation surrounding his future is something of a yearly occurrence, and the Brazilian driver is fully focused on upping his game and securing some strong results in the second half of the season.
“Good results are always important, so I’ll just concentrate on that,” Massa said. “There is a big opportunity to carry on with Ferrari, so I just need to concentrate, trying to do the best we can over the car and that’s what I’m looking for.”
In Button’s case, the signing of a new contract appears to be a formality. However, he did concede that he had felt uncomfortable following McLaren’s poor performance so far this season.
“Yes, I’m very happy to stay where I am,” the Briton confirmed. “I think it’s very easy, when times are difficult, to look elsewhere but when you’re in a team like McLaren that has been fighting at the front for so many years it’s definitely the wrong move to move elsewhere.”
For backmarker Max Chilton, it is simply a case of seeing where he and Marussia stand at the end of the season, but he is confident that the team is keen to retain him alongside Frenchman Jules Bianchi.
“My situation is the same as it’s been all year,” Chilton said. “I’ve got a one-year contract. Obviously I’m a rookie and so is Jules and we’re here to learn as much as we can.
“All I know is the team are happy to keep both of us and I’ll just keep trying to do the best job I can.”
Ricciardo’s confirmation should allow for the final few pieces of the driver market to slot into place over the next few weeks and months. However, with former world champion Kimi Raikkonen also thought to be considering a move away from Lotus, new sagas may be set to begin in the near future.
- Talladega Nights-inspired restaurant sued by Sony Pictures 0
- It’s happy hour at Team Penske after Vegas sweep (VIDEO) 1
- Australian GP wide open, both from past stats and preseason tests 0
- For Josef Newgarden, year three is chance to enter IndyCar’s elite 1
- Kanaan set for more than just Indy 500 success with Ganassi switch in 2014 2
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)