Sep 5, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
The last NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race before its 2013 Chase for the Sprint Cup is Saturday night at Richmond. Perhaps overlooked are the battles in the Nationwide Series, as both driver and owner championships are tight heading into Friday’s 25th round of the season.
Sam Hornish Jr. currently leads Austin Dillon by 10 points and the two are poised to expand that gap over the other three in the top five, Elliott Sadler, Regan Smith and Justin Allgaier. Those three have fallen to 26, 29, and 47 points back, respectively.
Due to the frequency of Sprint Cup regulars winning Nationwide races though, Hornish has only one win and Dillon none yet this year.
The owner championship sees the No. 54 Kyle Busch Motorsports Toyota trailing the No. 22 Penske Racing Ford by 11 points. Kyle Busch has won a series-high nine races this year, with Brad Keselowski winning four thus far in the No. 22.
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)