Provisional 2014 calendar revealed, no place for New Jersey

Sep 5, 2013, 6:28 AM EDT

F1 New Jersey AP

The first provisional calendar for the 2014 Formula One season has been revealed with the big news being the exclusion of the proposed Grand Prix of America in New Jersey.

Although an official reason for its postponement is yet to be given, it will come as a blow to F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone who had been pushing to get the race on the calendar for next season. However, it is likely that a revised date sometime during 2015 will secure the future of the race.

As Ecclestone had hinted to NBC Sports on the grid at Spa last month, Mexico will host a grand prix for the first time since 1992, going back-to-back with the United States Grand Prix in November. The race at Austin will take place on November 16th.

The new inclusions to the calendar (Austria, Russia, Mexico) have caused it to swell to an unprecedented twenty-one races, which will make the 2014 season the longest year ever with its finale coming on the final day of November in Brazil.

The other big change is Korea’s date, moving from October to become the fourth round of the season in 2014, with the race at Yeongam taking place on April 13th.

The calendar is still pending approval from the World Motor Sport Council, who will meet late this month in Croatia.

Provisional 2014 Formula One calendar (pending approval from the WMSC)

16th March – Australian Grand Prix
19th October – Russian Grand Prix
26th October – Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
9th November – Mexican Grand Prix
16th November – US Grand Prix
30th November – Brazilian Grand Prix

1. wallio - Sep 5, 2013 at 8:02 AM

No surprise. The doomed NJ race reminds me of Bernie’s attempts at a night race on the Vegas Strip from the ’90s.

“Next year you’ll see, we’re just working on when to close the strip. No, wait next year, or the year after that, or wait……”

2. purplesectornet - Sep 5, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Yeah what a blow to have the Mexican Grand Prix added to the calender…I love how you blame Bernie for what the folks in New Jersey are doing. You really are pathetic, you know that?

3. purplesectornet - Sep 5, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Here I will insert this before the BS starts: Three new countries added…Russia, Austria, and Mexico. Over to you…haters…

4. wallio - Sep 5, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I’m not blaming Bernie. I merely said it is very reminiscent of his attempts at a Las Vegas GP in the 90s (long before you were born). He kept trying his damnest and saying it will happen, when everyone knew it was a pipe dream.

This is very similar, Bernie has done quite a bit to secure this race (contracts, deadline extensions, hell he put up his own money) but this race will never happen. Kinda sad, but again, not surprising.

The real problem is the Mexican GP. Austin’s attendence last year was roughly 60% Mexican F1 fans. Will still still go? Especially back to back? Kind of a hard sell I’d say…….

5. purplesectornet - Sep 5, 2013 at 10:26 AM

There is no problem. The only problem is your hater agenda. F1 just added three new countries to the World Championship. A 15 year contract and 10 million dollars to pay down debt is no pipe dream…you are just looking for a way to spin something that is positive into a negative – and it’s getting tired and old…so have another sip of that hater-aide there “wallio”…

6. purplesectornet - Sep 5, 2013 at 10:26 AM

And I was born November 13th 1964 you mental giant…

• apexassassin - Sep 6, 2013 at 12:21 AM

just going to say for someone who is always calling others trolls you seem to do a bit of trolling yourself…

• purplesectornet - Sep 6, 2013 at 2:36 AM

Well three new countries on the calender and the fact that I am indeed 48 years old is the truth….so why don’t you blowhards get back to me when you grow up?

7. wallio - Sep 5, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Whatever you say kid. You were the one week in and week out banging on about how great the NYC race (despite it being in Jersey) was going to be. Then it got in trouble and you disappeared. Now its dead, and you’re hailing it as a positive? Ok.

And I’m a hater because I’m questioning how much Mexico will hurt Austin? Then I guess the Texas Tourism industry are all haters too, because they are very concerned about that.

But you kids and your funny words these days……

• purplesectornet - Sep 6, 2013 at 10:20 AM

You are not actually older than me? Are ya loud mouth? The mother of my child actually had an apartment there…right where they were gonna run that race…she managed cash for Pepsico you big bad genius…and she and her friends called it the “New York” race…that is where that came from…so the bottom line is you don’t know what the hell you are talking about…the disappointment that the team there can’t get it together is not a troll…it affects my family; we had plans to attend… so why don’t you go get in a race car and pretend you are fast? pfffft…

• wallio - Sep 6, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Considering it is well established that you are between 12-17 years old, I’m much older than you. But that is irrelevant. There are smart teenagers, then there is you, a stereotypical arrogant Brit and classic internet troll. But hey, have fun with that computer Mommy bought you.

And I’m not “fast” I’m quick. No drag racers are fast, its all about the E.T. (you’ll have to Google that one).

• purplesectornet - Sep 6, 2013 at 12:10 PM

All I can do now is laugh…you are one pathetic excuse for a man, you know that? You better get that blind spot checked you are gonna have a rough time from here on out…what a JOKE.

8. muddytrane - Sep 5, 2013 at 10:56 PM

21 race schedule and they still are taking a month off from the end of July to the end of August. That’s pretty compact and rather impressive I think. This will keep F1 on fans minds for the whole year now. As for you guys and the “discussion” of the NJGP, did anybody really think that it would be run by 2014? Too many politics and road improvements in the area need to be done and there is no way that gets done in NJ. Plus with all the hurricane damage done to the shore and trying to get that taken care of, NJ has other things more necessary to worry about for now. But by 2015 it would be a great boost for the area if they can get it done. As for Mexico being added, I don’t think Bernie really worried about Austin when adding it. Mexico has a large fan base besides the ones that trekked to Austin and I don’t think it will hurt Austin that much. I might be wrong but after the first year’s GP it will attract new fans that didn’t go the first year.

• apexassassin - Sep 5, 2013 at 11:49 PM

The antiquated August break needs to go after next year.

• purplesectornet - Sep 6, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Yeah forget about all the people in the factories…all the people that want to spend time with their families…right genius? Unbelievable.

• kitnamania13 - Sep 6, 2013 at 10:47 AM

The antiquated August break was introduced for 2009. That’s all the way back to when Massa was driving for Ferrari and Red Bull had Vettel and Webber.

• wallio - Sep 6, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Uhhh, no. Eddie Jordan convinced FOM to put in the “Summer Break” back in the mid-90s. It just was never for a whole month, (originally was 2-3 weeks IIRC) and never consistently at the same time (it was at both the beginning and end of the month back then, depending on year). The “all of August off” crap started after the last Concorde Agreement, as a cost cutting measure. The factories actually have to shut down for a few weeks now too, something that NEVER happened in the old days.

• purplesectornet - Sep 6, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Well why don’t you get into a time machine and go back to that frozen forest and then thump your chest and posture around and pretend you even have one ounce of flesh that measure up to those men that fought the Nazi’s there? Then maybe you can convince yourself that you actually have a leg to stand on…here is where I would start using names in vain but you know…I don’t actually know you in RL…but I’m guessing you are too short to look at me at eye level…but it really doesn’t matter does it? It’s time for Monza. Game. Set. Match.

• wallio - Sep 6, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Purple, I don’t even know what you’re talking about. But you’re right, you do win, because I laughed so hard trying to read your post, I will gladly give you the win. I’m having a bad day here, and laughter is indeed the best medicine, so thank you, I needed that.

• purplesectornet - Sep 6, 2013 at 3:19 PM

No you don’t and that’s OK…get an F1 ride and I will be your biggest fan…no one will touch you with malice I can promise you that….have a better day :)

9. apexassassin - Sep 5, 2013 at 11:51 PM

I was thinking when I saw the headline that NJ would be in where Mexico is (Bernie playing his games and me being hopeful – I loathe NY/NJ but that street circuit just looked badass, imo, etc) but there’s no way November would work and frankly the only logical way it could fit in to this schedule would be if Austria were moved…

even still, I just can’t see Mexico coming together that quickly… jmo.

Sochi in mid-October and Austin in mid-November could be a huge issue… frankly Austin got lucky last year. One week earlier and temps were in the mid-40s. Shiterelli would need to bring their rally tires!

• indycarseries500 - Sep 6, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Same here, just saw a clip of NASCAR’s Mexico Series racing on the oval there and I’ve seen dirt tracks more “world class” than how that place looked, but money gets things done and Carlos Slim has a lot of money.

• purplesectornet - Sep 6, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Yep. Truth.

10. kitnamania13 - Sep 6, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Let’s not underestimate the impact Red Bull has had on the schedule. They really wanted the NJ race. They could use it to promote their soccer team and the return of the NY air race. They even did several promotions, including running a car through the Lincoln Tunnel. But once they realized the race was not going to happen, they put their emphasis on returning to Austria, at a track they now own.

I still hold out hope that an NJ race could happen, but the proposed track is in terrible condition and can barely carry traffic at 35 MPH. They’re going to have to do a lot more than welding in manhole covers to get F1 cars to race on it.

11. purplesectornet - Sep 6, 2013 at 12:19 PM

My view is the only chance they have now is if Bernie finally steps down…that “Bernie who?” headline did NOT help. But this is nothing knew…my bright spot for the weekend is Mario on the broadcast…THAT is going to be amazing…that and the fact that my Seahawks have a real chance to go all the way…over to you “Wallio” the big bad smart guy….(pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft)

12. indycarseries500 - Sep 6, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Bernie said there will be 22 rounds in an interview with Martin Brundle, so I’m going to be cautiously optimistic the NY/NJ race happens.

13. laiglblanc - Sep 10, 2013 at 3:54 PM

why not have the teams double up on equipment so they can do two races a w/e . . .race in Britain and then fly to Brussels for spa . . .next w/e do Germany and then fly drivers and crew to hungary . . .
    this way they can have 104 races every year . . .it’s all about the money , right ? there’s little sport here anymore . . .just chasing the big bucks . . .

Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches