Sep 5, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
Daniel Ricciardo has spoken to the world’s media for the first time since being confirmed as a Red Bull driver for 2014 today ahead of the Italian Grand Prix, admitting that it is a relief for his future to be secure.
After compatriot Mark Webber confirmed at Silverstone that he would be retiring from Formula One at the end of the season, Ricciardo was shortlisted alongside Kimi Raikkonen and Jean-Eric Vergne for the seat. However, as the ‘last man standing’, Ricciardo was eventually confirmed as Sebastian Vettel’s teammate for 2014 on Monday, and the Australian is glad that the speculation has now died down.
“I think it’s a bit of a relief now that there’s no more speculation and no more dodging questions and all the rest of it,” Ricciardo explained. “Everyone knows what’s happening, including me. It’s nice. It’s something to look forward to and obviously I’m very pleased with the news but I have eight more races this year and looking forward to giving Toro Rosso a nice farewell I hope and I’ll put all my energy into that.”
In Belgium two weeks ago, Ricciardo had been bombarded with questions about his future and remained insistent that nothing had been secured. Today in Italy, he confirmed that he only received confirmation last Wednesday, five days ahead of the global announcement.
“To be honest, in Spa, as I said, I still didn’t know – that was the truth. I found out, I think it was Wednesday that following week, so a few days before the announcement took place.”
Ricciardo will be hoping to prove that he is worthy of the seat by putting in some strong displays during his final eight races with Toro Rosso this season.
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 0
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0
- Rosberg fastest once again in second British GP practice 0
- Rosberg tops FP1 at Silverstone after gearbox change 0
- NHRA: Tony Pedregon hopes to keep momentum going in Norwalk 0
- NHRA: New president Peter Clifford full of ideas to get drag racing back on-track 9
- Ryan Briscoe making most of filling in for James Hinchcliffe 1