Sep 6, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Lewis Hamilton believes that Mercedes are looking “quite competitive” at Monza following a good showing in practice today for this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix.
In the past, Hamilton has made his distaste over Mercedes’ pace on Fridays clear, explaining in Belgium how it was becoming all too regular an occurrence for his liking. However, after finishing quickest in first practice at Monza today, the Briton is more satisfied with the situation.
“The car feels pretty good here today at Monza,” Hamilton said. “The balance is reasonable and we’ve had a pretty smooth day, better than our recent Fridays in fact.
“Although we’re quite competitive, we’re not quick enough yet and will have to work hard tonight to see where we can make some improvements. Of course we don’t know what fuel loads other teams are on so we’ll have to wait and see but there is a bit of work for us to do if we want to compete right at the front tomorrow.”
Hamilton boasts a good record at the Italian Grand Prix, having won the race last season and he will be keen on securing a second win this weekend. Additionally, he is chasing his fifth consecutive pole position, and with five of the last six winners at Monza starting from P1, Hamilton will be aware of just how important a good qualifying result will be.
- Richard Petty to return at Richmond, first race since wife Lynda’s death 0
- NASCAR VP: 2015 Sprint Cup engine package to be revealed before All-Star Race 0
- Too much, too fast, too soon: The sad saga of Swan Racing 0
- IndyCar: Will high grip and high tempers equal high drama at Barber? 2
- NHRA drag racing superstar John Force goes on vacation — at a dragstrip, of course 0
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (13)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)