Sep 6, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Lewis Hamilton believes that Mercedes are looking “quite competitive” at Monza following a good showing in practice today for this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix.
In the past, Hamilton has made his distaste over Mercedes’ pace on Fridays clear, explaining in Belgium how it was becoming all too regular an occurrence for his liking. However, after finishing quickest in first practice at Monza today, the Briton is more satisfied with the situation.
“The car feels pretty good here today at Monza,” Hamilton said. “The balance is reasonable and we’ve had a pretty smooth day, better than our recent Fridays in fact.
“Although we’re quite competitive, we’re not quick enough yet and will have to work hard tonight to see where we can make some improvements. Of course we don’t know what fuel loads other teams are on so we’ll have to wait and see but there is a bit of work for us to do if we want to compete right at the front tomorrow.”
Hamilton boasts a good record at the Italian Grand Prix, having won the race last season and he will be keen on securing a second win this weekend. Additionally, he is chasing his fifth consecutive pole position, and with five of the last six winners at Monza starting from P1, Hamilton will be aware of just how important a good qualifying result will be.
- For Josef Newgarden, year three is chance to enter IndyCar’s elite 0
- Kanaan set for more than just Indy 500 success with Ganassi switch in 2014 1
- Keselowski wins in Vegas as Dale Jr. runs dry on final lap 2
- NHRA king John Force charging as hard in boardroom for new sponsors as on the dragstrip 0
- Who are the new rookies in F1 this season? 1
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)