Sep 6, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
Lewis Hamilton believes that Mercedes are looking “quite competitive” at Monza following a good showing in practice today for this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix.
In the past, Hamilton has made his distaste over Mercedes’ pace on Fridays clear, explaining in Belgium how it was becoming all too regular an occurrence for his liking. However, after finishing quickest in first practice at Monza today, the Briton is more satisfied with the situation.
“The car feels pretty good here today at Monza,” Hamilton said. “The balance is reasonable and we’ve had a pretty smooth day, better than our recent Fridays in fact.
“Although we’re quite competitive, we’re not quick enough yet and will have to work hard tonight to see where we can make some improvements. Of course we don’t know what fuel loads other teams are on so we’ll have to wait and see but there is a bit of work for us to do if we want to compete right at the front tomorrow.”
Hamilton boasts a good record at the Italian Grand Prix, having won the race last season and he will be keen on securing a second win this weekend. Additionally, he is chasing his fifth consecutive pole position, and with five of the last six winners at Monza starting from P1, Hamilton will be aware of just how important a good qualifying result will be.
- WATCH: Race of Champions at 7 p.m. ET kicks off motors evening on NBCSN 0
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 1
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 0
- Kurt Busch calls ex-girlfriend’s allegations a ‘fabrication’ 14
- Fry, Tombazis out as part of Ferrari’s ongoing restructuring 1