Sep 6, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Congratulations are in order for five-time Sprint Cup champion Jimmie Johnson and his wife, Chandra, who welcomed their second child earlier this morning at a hospital in Charlotte, North Carolina.
According to a statement from Hendrick Motorsports, the Johnsons’ new baby daughter weighed in at five pounds, 10 ounces, and was 19 inches long at birth.
“Big sister Genevieve Marie, 3, is said to be very proud of her new baby sister,” the statement said. “Mother and baby and are doing fine and are expected to remain in the hospital overnight.”
As for Five-Time, who has already clinched his berth in the Chase for the Sprint Cup, he will miss today’s activities at Richmond International Raceway.
Filling in for him in the No. 48 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet will be NASCAR Nationwide Series title contender Regan Smith. He will take part in today’s Cup practices and also qualify the No. 48 for tomorrow’s Federated Auto Parts 400.
Johnson will be back for tomorrow’s main event, but because Smith will qualify his car for him, he will have to start the race from the rear of the field.
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 0
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 0
- Hamilton weathers the storm to claim third British GP victory at Silverstone 1
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 3
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0