Sep 6, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Congratulations are in order for five-time Sprint Cup champion Jimmie Johnson and his wife, Chandra, who welcomed their second child earlier this morning at a hospital in Charlotte, North Carolina.
According to a statement from Hendrick Motorsports, the Johnsons’ new baby daughter weighed in at five pounds, 10 ounces, and was 19 inches long at birth.
“Big sister Genevieve Marie, 3, is said to be very proud of her new baby sister,” the statement said. “Mother and baby and are doing fine and are expected to remain in the hospital overnight.”
As for Five-Time, who has already clinched his berth in the Chase for the Sprint Cup, he will miss today’s activities at Richmond International Raceway.
Filling in for him in the No. 48 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet will be NASCAR Nationwide Series title contender Regan Smith. He will take part in today’s Cup practices and also qualify the No. 48 for tomorrow’s Federated Auto Parts 400.
Johnson will be back for tomorrow’s main event, but because Smith will qualify his car for him, he will have to start the race from the rear of the field.
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy 200 qualifying at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- Dixon quickest with unofficial lap record in final practice at Mid-Ohio 0
- Dixon fastest on Friday at Mid-Ohio 1
- Hinchcliffe undergoes final surgery, now “can’t wait to be strapping back in” 2
- With 2016 plans undetermined, Newgarden focused on finishing 2015 strong 1
- Racing, music blend as Umphrey’s McGee partners with GTSport Racing for rest of 2015 PWC season 1
- Exploring what’s next for Derrick Walker as he announces he’s leaving IndyCar 0