Sep 6, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Congratulations are in order for five-time Sprint Cup champion Jimmie Johnson and his wife, Chandra, who welcomed their second child earlier this morning at a hospital in Charlotte, North Carolina.
According to a statement from Hendrick Motorsports, the Johnsons’ new baby daughter weighed in at five pounds, 10 ounces, and was 19 inches long at birth.
“Big sister Genevieve Marie, 3, is said to be very proud of her new baby sister,” the statement said. “Mother and baby and are doing fine and are expected to remain in the hospital overnight.”
As for Five-Time, who has already clinched his berth in the Chase for the Sprint Cup, he will miss today’s activities at Richmond International Raceway.
Filling in for him in the No. 48 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet will be NASCAR Nationwide Series title contender Regan Smith. He will take part in today’s Cup practices and also qualify the No. 48 for tomorrow’s Federated Auto Parts 400.
Johnson will be back for tomorrow’s main event, but because Smith will qualify his car for him, he will have to start the race from the rear of the field.
Video from NASCAR America
- How NASCAR determined Tony Stewart was ready to race again 1
- Helton: Tony Stewart still eligible for Chase, but must win to get in 1
- Sheriff: Stewart crash investigation to continue “for at least another 2 weeks” 3
- Kurt Busch, Danica Patrick glad to see boss, teammate and friend Tony Stewart back in race car 0
- Tony Stewart: ‘This is a sadness and pain that I hope no one has to experience in their life’ 27
- The most memorable moments of IndyCar 2014 (so far) 0
- Mercedes drivers “remain free to race” following meeting today 3