Sep 6, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Pastor Maldonado and Valtteri Bottas have both been left frustrated following Friday’s practice sessions ahead of this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix at Monza.
The Williams drivers have endured a difficult season so far, scoring just a solitary point between them, and although Maldonado showed signs of improved pace during the first session today, the Venezuelan driver has called on the team to up their game.
“It is quite difficult to put a lap together as there is some inconsistency in how the car behaves through different corners, but we will see where we are tomorrow as the track is changing a lot,” he explained. “We weren’t able to improve our time too much this afternoon so we need to work harder to make sure we are better tomorrow.”
Maldonado finished ninth and fourteenth in FP1 and FP2 respectively, ahead of teammate Bottas who could only finish sixteenth and eighteenth at Monza today. The Finn echoed Maldonado’s thoughts, also identifying “inconsistencies” in the pace of the FW35 car.
“It wasn’t an easy day today,” Bottas said. “We had some inconsistencies in the aerodynamics during FP1 and then in FP2 we were missing quite a lot of straight-line speed on my option tire run. We need to look at why that happened as that is why the time doesn’t look so good on the board.”
However, he is pleased that the team appears to be challenging closest-rivals Sauber and Toro Rosso, boding well for the race on Sunday.
“The positive thing today was the long run as we were competitive compared to Toro Rosso and Sauber and I think we can really challenge them in the race this weekend.”
The high-speed nature of the circuit is expected to suit the FW35 car, but Williams will need to up their game if they are to challenge for points in the final European round of the season.
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Long Beach (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Hamilton pleased to fend off Ferrari in Bahrain despite last lap brake scare 0
- Hamilton puts on a show under the lights to win Bahrain GP 1
- Off The Grid: Melbourne premieres 1:30pm ET on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Castroneves secures pole in IndyCar qualifying at Long Beach 1
- Hamilton eases to fourth straight pole position in Bahrain 0
- Hamilton closes out Bahrain GP practice on top 0