Sep 6, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Cole Whitt, a former Red Bull development driver, will return to the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series ranks for five races starting next week in Chicago.
Whitt will replace David Stremme in Swan Racing’s No. 30 Toyota, the team announced Friday in Richmond. He’ll race at Chicago, Kansas, Charlotte, Talladega and Phoenix.
Whitt, 22, has raced 11 Nationwide Series events this year and has seven career Cup starts. His five last year were all start-and-parks but in 2011, with Red Bull, he finished a respectable 25th on debut in Phoenix before crashing out at Homestead.
He’s also the closest name NASCAR has to this.
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)