Sep 6, 2013, 2:30 PM EST
Cole Whitt, a former Red Bull development driver, will return to the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series ranks for five races starting next week in Chicago.
Whitt will replace David Stremme in Swan Racing’s No. 30 Toyota, the team announced Friday in Richmond. He’ll race at Chicago, Kansas, Charlotte, Talladega and Phoenix.
Whitt, 22, has raced 11 Nationwide Series events this year and has seven career Cup starts. His five last year were all start-and-parks but in 2011, with Red Bull, he finished a respectable 25th on debut in Phoenix before crashing out at Homestead.
He’s also the closest name NASCAR has to this.
- Eddie Gossage: “Foolish move” by F1 to go head-to-head with NASCAR at Texas (12)
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement (10)
- IndyCar TV sked for 2014 released; 13 races to be shown on NBCSN (9)
- NASCAR Sprint Cup silly season update for 2014 (8)
- Mark Miles talks about the road ahead for IndyCar (8)