Sep 6, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Cole Whitt, a former Red Bull development driver, will return to the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series ranks for five races starting next week in Chicago.
Whitt will replace David Stremme in Swan Racing’s No. 30 Toyota, the team announced Friday in Richmond. He’ll race at Chicago, Kansas, Charlotte, Talladega and Phoenix.
Whitt, 22, has raced 11 Nationwide Series events this year and has seven career Cup starts. His five last year were all start-and-parks but in 2011, with Red Bull, he finished a respectable 25th on debut in Phoenix before crashing out at Homestead.
He’s also the closest name NASCAR has to this.
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari in final practice for Monaco GP 0
- Chip Ganassi lobbying for IndyCar schedule changes 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar, Indy Lights Carb Day (11 a.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- IndyCar driver raises concern about design of wishbone that injured James Hinchcliffe in crash 4
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Hamilton tops quiet second Monaco GP practice 0
- Hamilton quickest in opening practice for Monaco GP 0