Sep 7, 2013, 3:40 PM EST
Greg Biffle feels like his No. 16 Roush Fenway Racing team can be a surprise in the Chase for the Sprint Cup should he be able to clinch a post-season berth tonight at Richmond International Raceway.
Biffle has one win to his credit this regular season, and while he’s been relatively quiet in his bid to make the playoffs, he’s done enough to hold onto ninth in the standings (14 points ahead of 11th-place Jeff Gordon) as the final battle looms at RIR.
Outside of his victory this past June at Michigan, it may not seem like Biffle’s done enough in 2013 to have most folks picking him as a legitimate threat for a championship.
But while he admits that his Roush Fenway team has struggled at times this year while coming to grips with the new Generation-6 car, he insists that he and his team have been “underestimated.”
“As kind of a whole organization, we haven’t been as strong as we had been last year,” he said on Thursday. “[But] I think we’re getting it figured out. We’re not there yet, but we’ve also got 11 more weeks. So we continue to build on this, we think we have good stuff coming.”
Biffle can clinch a Top-10 spot in the Chase with a finish of ninth or better, but he feels that his top priority is staying in front of Martin Truex, Jr. and Ryan Newman, who are battling for the second and final Wild Card.
Still, it seems that trying to look at all the Chase scenarios has become a bit of a headache for him.
“I truly cannot figure it out…I’ve had a hard time doing the math,” Biffle said. “Somebody said ‘Ninth or better, you’re locked in.’ Well, when I look at it and try and understand it, it appears to me I need to be in front of the 56 [Truex] or 39 [Newman] car most likely.
“I need to be in front of both of them – big difference between ninth and being in front of those guys.”
- Manor Marussia F1 confirms trip to Melbourne 3
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 2
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 2
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3