Sep 7, 2013, 7:45 AM EST
The relationship between Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber has been far from friendly over the past three years, with the two drivers clashing on more than one occasion despite being teammates. However, it appears that their feud is not a thing of the past with German publication Bild today reporting that Vettel was absent from Webber’s leaving party.
Webber has taken the decision to retire from Formula One at the end of the season, favoring a move to Porsche’s new LMP1 programme that will see him race in the 24 Hours of Le Mans next year. Therefore, at his final grand prix in Europe, the Australian driver decided the hold a small gathering on the upper level of the Red Bull Energy Station at Monza. F1 drivers and team bosses were all invited along, with the likes of Ross Brawn, Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso all attending.
However, Vettel was spotted by NBC Sports’ pit reporter Will Buxton sitting alone, with Bild reporting that the German driver stayed on the lower level of the Energy Station playing on his phone instead of joining the festivities.
— Will Buxton (@willbuxton) September 7, 2013
It is worth noting that this is not the first time Vettel has not attending an event for Webber, choosing not to join the small party held for the Australian driver’s 200th grand prix earlier on in the season along with team advisor Dr. Helmut Marko.
- Joey Logano wins Vegas pole, Penske claims front row again 0
- 5 storylines that could define the 2014 F1 season 1
- Indianapolis 500 2014 Qualifying Format Revealed 5
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- Disastrous day for Red Bull as Vettel manages just half a lap (5)