Sep 7, 2013, 9:39 AM EDT
Sebastian Vettel may have dominated proceedings at Monza so far this weekend, but the Red Bull driver has said that pole position came as something of a surprise considering Red Bull’s track record at Monza.
The team has traditionally struggled at high-speed circuits in the past, with both Vettel and teammate Mark Webber retiring from the Italian Grand Prix last season. However, Red Bull have bounced back this season by winning at other high-speed tracks such as Montreal and Spa, but Vettel was still not convinced they would carry this form over to Monza.
“It’s a special track, it’s always nice to come back here,” Vettel said, reflecting on his first win at the circuit in 2008.
“The car was fantastic so far, I think better than what we could expect. In the end, it’s a bit of a surprise to have both cars on the front row at a place where historically we’ve had bad years.”
As surprised as Vettel may have been, he finished quickest in all three qualifying sessions today, posting a fastest time of 1:23.755 late on to secure his fourth pole position.
This result also marks the fortieth pole position of Vettel’s career, with just two drivers having more starts from P1 than the German driver. Further to that, this is Red Bull’s fiftieth pole position since joining the sport in 2005.
Judging by his practice form, it is difficult to see Vettel not winning the race on Sunday, yet he will be all too aware of the pace of his teammate, Mark Webber, who joins the three-time world champion on the front row at Monza.
- After 62 starts, Brad Keselowski finally earns first career Trucks win at Bristol 0
- F1, IndyCar, Red Bull GRC highlight jam-packed motorsports weekend on networks of NBC 0
- Alexander Rossi to make F1 debut in Belgium, replaces Chilton 5
- It’s official: Tony Stewart to miss Bristol race, Jeff Burton to once again drive No. 14 5
- When — or will — Tony Stewart ever race again? 11
- Andre Lotterer confirmed for Caterham debut at Spa 6
- NASCAR: Joe Gibbs hopeful for eventual return of Tony Stewart 12