Sep 8, 2013, 3:10 PM EST
Despite losing ground to Sebastian Vettel and Red Bull in both championships, Ferrari will be celebrating tonight following the team’s best performance since the Spanish Grand Prix back in May.
After qualifying fourth and fifth on Saturday, Felipe Massa and Fernando Alonso made good starts to lie second and fourth respectively at the end of the first lap. Alonso pulled off a gutsy move on Mark Webber through the second chicane to move up to P3. Predictably, the Spaniard then passed Massa with relative ease, but he was unable to catch Vettel at the front. In fact, Alonso’s greatest challenge came from Webber who, after leapfrogging Massa in the pits, remained within a second of the two-time world champion for the rest of the race, only to be slowed down by a problematic gearbox.
Nevertheless, the result marks a return to form for Ferrari after a troublesome spell that has seen Red Bull pull away in the constructors’ championship and Alonso lose ground on Vettel. However, the Italian marque has now overtaken Mercedes to move up to second place in the constructors’, trailing Red Bull by 104 points.
Unsurprisingly, Alonso was welcomed onto the podium by a rapturous support of scarlet-clad fans who had made their way onto the track after the checkered flag. The Spanish driver even took a second to take a picture of himself and the fans, uploading it to Twitter soon after the race.
Fantástico Fantástico Fantástico FantásticoFantástico Fantástico Fantástico Fantástico Fantástico Fantástico!! pic.twitter.com/OOg5HdRo3I
— Fernando Alonso (@alo_oficial) September 8, 2013
- WATCH LIVE: Abu Dhabi GP Race Day live on NBCSN from 7a ET 0
- The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi 0
- Vettel and Ricciardo to start Abu Dhabi GP from pit lane 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Red Bull drivers excluded from qualifying in Abu Dhabi 2
- Force India confirms Sergio Perez on multi-year deal 2
- Nico Rosberg rallies to pole position in Abu Dhabi 0