Sep 9, 2013, 5:00 PM EST
A tip of the cap to Jeff Gordon‘s PR staff, who took the opportunity to capitalize on the driver’s missing the 2013 NASCAR Chase for the Sprint Cup with a juicy headline in Gordon’s Chicago advance release.
“Gordon Itching to Win at Chicago Again” was the not-so-subtle play-on-words employed by the No. 24 Hendrick Motorsports PR team, making direct reference to the radio transmission issued from Michael Waltrip Racing to Clint Bowyer asking if “his arm itched,” just before Bowyer spun out at Richmond.
Gordon was in a position to make the Chase, in the 10th spot in the standings, prior to the Bowyer caution.
“We battled hard all race and all weekend long at Richmond, but we came up a few points short,” Gordon said in the release. “But the effort and never quit attitude is what I love about this race team. We’re going to continue with that attitude through each of the final 10 races.
“We haven’t had the year this team is capable of, and that’s where our focus will be. We’re going into these next 10 races trying to step it up, be more competitive and hopefully get a win or two.”
A win in the No. 24 Drive to End Hunger Chevrolet at Chicagoland would be his 88th of his illustrious career and also pay tribute to the 516 names who have donated to the “Ride with Jeff Gordon” promotion and have appeared on Gordon’s hood.
- Eddie Gossage: “Foolish move” by F1 to go head-to-head with NASCAR at Texas (12)
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement (10)
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes (10)
- Mark Miles talks about the road ahead for IndyCar (8)
- Rick Allen named lead NASCAR announcer for NBC Sports (6)